Non-farm employment in small-scale enterprises in Romania: policy and development issues
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to summarise the results of a non-farm micro- enterprise survey in rural and peri-urban Romania and to examine their impact on the development of sustainable rural livelihoods. As these firms operate in fixed locations and are therefore more easily located and observed, most of the data presented s based on our survey of firms in Brasov and Dolj counties of Romania. This data is complemented with information about unregistered gathering, hawking, and handicraft activities collected through our qualitative social development studies in the same counties. Both categories of information document the situation at a particular point in time and can provide insights into the functioning of enterprises, but not on the dynamics of change. There are however, some initial complications in understanding the operation of small non-farm firms. On the one hand, for many of those involved in rural non-farm enterprise activities, there is no difference between activities to meet their subsistence needs and producing for the market. Thus, they sell what is surplus to their needs or in response to the opportunity selling provides to generate additional cash income. On the other hand, many of the registered rural non-farm firms are commercially oriented and operate in a competitive market. We consider the nature and extent of rural non-farm enterprises and outline their main characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0510019.
Date of creation: 27 Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Rural Non-Farm; Economic Development; poverty; enterprise development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2005-10-29 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-TRA-2005-10-29 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heidhues, Franz & Davis, Junior R & Schrieder, Gertrud, 1998.
"Agricultural Transformation and Implications for Designing Rural Financial Policies in Romania,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 351-72.
- Franz Heidues & Junior R. Davis & Gertrud Schrieder, 1997. "Agricultural Transformation and Implications for Designing Rural Financial Policies in Romania," CERT Discussion Papers 9722, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Junior R Davis & Angela Gaburici, 1998. "The Economic Activity of Private Farms in Romania during Transition. Just how competitive are they?," CERT Discussion Papers 9807, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Yaron, Jacob, 1994. "What Makes Rural Finance Institutions Successful?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 49-70, January.
- Davis, Junior, 2006.
"Rural Non-farm Livelihoods in Transition Economies: Emerging Issues and Policies,"
eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 3(2).
- Junior Davis, 2006. "Rural non-farm livelihoods in transition economies: emerging issues and policies," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 3(2), pages 180-224.
- Ranjan, Sharad, 2006. "Occupational Diversification And Access To Rural Employment: Revisiting The Non Farm Employment Debate," MPRA Paper 7870, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Junior Davis & Dirk Bezemer, 2005. "Key emerging and conceptual issues in the development of the rural non-farm economy in developing countries and transition economies," Development and Comp Systems 0510017, EconWPA.
- Junior Davis, 2005. "The rural non-farm economy, Livelihoods and their," Development and Comp Systems 0510016, EconWPA.
- Zvyagintsev, Dmitry & Shick, Olga & Serova, Eugenia & Lerman, Zvi, 2007. "Diversification of rural incomes and non-farm rural employment: evidence from Russia," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7846, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.