The rural non-farm economy, Livelihoods and their
AbstractThe rural non-farm economy (RNFE) may be defined as comprising all those activities associated with waged work or self-employment in income generating activities (including income in-kind) that are not agricultural but which generate income (including remittances etc.) rural areas. In some contexts rural non-farm activities are also important sources of local economic growth (e.g. tourism, mining, timber processing, etc). The promotion of diversification of activities may be an important component of poverty alleviation in rural areas. The rural non-farm economy is of great importance to the rural economy for its productive and employment effects, while the income it provides to rural households represents a substantial and growing share of rural incomes. Often this share is particularly high for the rural poor. There is evidence that these contributions are becoming increasingly significant for food security, poverty alleviation and farm sector competitiveness and productivity. . In the light of increasing donor and developing country interest in the sharing of good practice for methodological approaches in analysis, policy intervention and support to the rural non-farm economy, we consider it timely to draw out the key emerging lessons from international experience to date. These have, where appropriate, been set in the context of current thinking on the topic and aim to add value to the debate through drawing on evidenced based work, new empirical data and consensus based dialogue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0510016.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 27 Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 30
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Rural non-farm economy; diversification; economic development; livelihoods;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berdegue, Julio A. & Ramirez, Eduardo & Reardon, Thomas & Escobar, German, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in Chile," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 411-425, March.
- Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, P. B. R. & Reardon, Thomas, 2002. "Strategies for stimulating poverty-alleviating growth in the rural nonfarm economy in developing countries:," EPTD discussion papers 92, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Reardon, Thomas, 2000. "Asset, Activity, And Income Diversification Among African Agriculturalists: Some Practical Issues," Working Papers 14734, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Junior Davis & Angela Gaburici, 2005. "Non-farm employment in small-scale enterprises in Romania: policy and development issues," Development and Comp Systems 0510019, EconWPA.
- Frank Ellis, 2000. "The Determinants of Rural Livelihood Diversification in Developing Countries," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 289-302.
- Junior Davis & Dirk Bezemer, 2005. "Key emerging and conceptual issues in the development of the rural non-farm economy in developing countries and transition economies," Development and Comp Systems 0510017, EconWPA.
- Junior Davis & Adriana Cristoiu, 2005. "Patterns of rural non-farm diversification and employment in," Development and Comp Systems 0510021, EconWPA.
- Humphrey, John & Schmitz, Hubert, 1996. "The Triple C approach to local industrial policy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1859-1877, December.
- Prabhu Pingali, 2007.
"Agricultural growth and economic development: a view through the globalization lens,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 1-12, December.
- Pingali, Prabhu L., 2006. "Agricultural Growth and Economic Development: A View through the Globalization Lens," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25429, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Norsida Man & Sami Ismaila Sadiya, 2009. "Off-farm employment participation among paddy farmers in the Muda Agricultural Development Authority and Kemasin Semerak granary areas of Malaysia," Asia Pacific Trade and Investment Review, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 16(2), pages 141-153, December.
- Armida Alisjahbana & Chris Manning, 2007. "Trends and Constraints Associated with Labor Faced by Non-Farm Enterprises," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 200711, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Oct 2007.
- Fritzsch, Jana, 2011. "A Composite Fuzzy Indicator for Assessing Farm Household Potential for Non-farm Income Diversification," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114349, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gero Carletto & Katia Covarrubias & Benjamin Davis & Marika Krausova & Kostas Stamoulis & Paul Winters & Alberto Zezza, 2007. "Rural income generating activities in developing countries: re-assessing the evidence," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 4(1), pages 146-193.
- Roslan ABDUL-HAKIM & Siti Hadijah CHE-MAT, 2011. "Determinants of Farmers Participation in Off-Farm Employment: A Case Study in Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia," Asian Journal of Agriculture and rural Development, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(2), pages 27-37, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.