The nonfarm sector and rural development: review of issues and evidence
AbstractIn most developing countries, the rural labor force is growing rapidly, but rural employment opportunities are dwindling. This paper brings together empirical evidence on the nonfarm sector and analyzes policies for its future development. It examines the linkages between the farm and nonfarm sectors and between the nonfarm sector and urban enterprises, and considers ways the government can promote rural employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series 2020 vision discussion papers with number 22.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Rural development Government policy.; Rural development Planning.; Rural conditions Analysis.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Park, Albert & Johnston, Bruce, 1995. "Rural Development and Dynamic Externalities in Taiwan's Structural Transformation," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 180-208, October.
- Dessing, M., 1990. "Support For Microenterprises; Lessons For Sub-Saharan Africa," Papers 122, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Pernia, Ernesto M. & Pernia, Joseph M., 1986. "An economic and social impact analysis of small industry promotion: A Philippine experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 637-651, May.
- Livingstone, Ian, 1991. "A reassessment of Kenya's rural and urban informal sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 651-670, June.
- Hazell, Peter B. & Haggblade, Steven, 1990. "Rural - urban growth linkages in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 430, The World Bank.
- Tendler, Judith & Amorim, Monica Alves, 1996. "Small firms and their helpers: Lessons on demand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 407-426, March.
- Haroon Jamal, 1995. "Explanation of Off-farm Work Participation in Rural Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 139-148.
- McPherson, Michael A., 1996. "Growth of micro and small enterprises in southern Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 253-277, March.
- Hazell, Peter B R & Hojjati, Behjat, 1995. "Farm/Non-farm Growth Linkages in Zambia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 4(3), pages 406-35, December.
- Ahmed, Raisuddin & Hossain, Mahabub, 1990. "Developmental impact of rural infrastructure in Bangladesh:," Research reports 83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Vijverberg, Wim P. M., 1995. "Returns to schooling in non-farm self-employment: An econometric case study of Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1215-1227, July.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Hojjati, Behjat, 1995. "Farm-nonfarm growth linkages in Zambia:," EPTD discussion papers 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Roell, Ailsa, 1983. "Rural growth linkages: household expenditure patterns in Malaysia and Nigeria," Research reports 41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gary H. Jefferson & Thomas G. Rawski, 1994. "Enterprise Reform in Chinese Industry," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 47-70, Spring.
- Zhu, Nong & Luo, Xubei, 2008. "The impact of remittances on rural poverty and inequality in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4637, The World Bank.
- Jann Lay & George Michuki M’Mukaria & Toman Omar Mahmoud, 2007.
"Boda-bodas Rule: Non-agricultural Activities and Their Inequality Implications in Western Kenya,"
GIGA Working Paper Series
48, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Lay, Jann & M'Mukaria, George Michuki & Omar Mahmoud, Toman, 2007. "Boda-bodas rule: Non-agricultural activities and their inequality implications in Western Kenya," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, GÃ¶ttingen 2007 20, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Lay, Jann & M'Mukaria, George Michuki & Omar Mahmoud, Toman, 2007. "Boda-bodas rule: Non-agricultural activities and their inequality implications in Western Kenya," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 4250, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Jann Lay & George Michuki M'Mukaria & Toman Omar Mahmoud, 2007. "Boda Bodas Rule: Non-agricultural Activities and Their Inequality Implications in Western Kenya," Kiel Working Papers 1314, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ranjan, Sharad, 2006. "Occupational Diversification And Access To Rural Employment: Revisiting The Non Farm Employment Debate," MPRA Paper 7870, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhu, Nong & Luo, Xubei, 2006. "Nonfarm activity and rural income inequality : a case study of two provinces in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3811, The World Bank.
- Obare, G. A. & Omamo, S. W. & Williams, J. C., 2003. "Smallholder production structure and rural roads in Africa: the case of Nakuru District, Kenya," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 245-254, May.
- Nong Zhu & Xubei Luo, 2014. "The Impact of migration on rural poverty and inequality: a case study in China," CIRANO Working Papers 2014s-08, CIRANO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.