Interdependent Preferences, Potential Games and Household Consumption
AbstractThis paper presents a nonparametric model of interdependent preferences, where an individual’s consumption may be an externality on the preferences of other consumers. We assume that individual price consumption data is observed for all consumers and prove that the general model imposes few restrictions on the observed data, where the consistency requirement is Nash rationalizability. We motivate potential games as an important sub class of games where the family of concave potential games is refutable and imposes stronger restrictions on observed data. As an application of this model, we discuss inter-household consumption data. Finally, we use this framework to extend the analysis of Brown and Matzkin (1996) on refutable pure exchange economies to pure exchange economies with externalities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6818.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Potential games; Externalities; Nonparametric restrictions; Revealed Preference; Household consumption; Nash-Walras equilibrium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Browning, M. & Chiappori, P.A., 1994.
"Efficient Intra-Household allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests,"
DELTA Working Papers
94-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- M. Browning & P. A. Chiappori, 1998. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1278, November.
- Martin Browning & P.A. Chiappori, 1996. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations - A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Discussion Papers 96-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: a General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Department of Economics Working Papers 1994-02, McMaster University.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1992.
"Collective Labor Supply and Welfare,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(3), pages 437-67, June.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1976. "Interdependent Preferences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 309-20, June.
- Mäler, K-G. & Xepapadeas, A. & Zeeuw, A.J. de, 2000.
"The Economics of Shallow Lakes,"
2000-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Anat Bracha & Donald J. Brown, 2007. "Affective Decision Making: A Behavioral Theory of Choice," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1633, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Haimanko, Ori & Zapechelnyuk, Andriy, 2006. "Strategic complements and substitutes, and potential games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 77-94, January.
- Ghosal, S. & Polemarchakis, H.M., .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1260, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Konishi, Hideo & Le Breton, Michel & Weber, Shlomo, 1998. "Equilibrium in a Finite Local Public Goods Economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 224-244, April.
- Garcia, Alfredo & Arbelaez, Luis E., 2002. "Market power analysis for the Colombian electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 217-229, May.
- Ed Hopkins & Tatiana Kornienko, 2004.
"Running to Keep in the Same Place: Consumer Choice as a Game of Status,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 1085-1107, September.
- Ed Hopkins & Tatiana Kornienko, 2004. "Running to Keep in the Same Place: Consumer Choice as a Game of Status," ESE Discussion Papers 92, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Deb, Rahul, 2007. "Computational Inefficiency Of Nonparametric Tests For Consistency Of Data With Household Consumption," MPRA Paper 2700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schall, Lawrence D, 1972. "Interdependent Utilities and Pareto Optimality," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 19-24, February.
- Andrew Postlewaite, .
""The Social Basis of Interdependent Preferences'',"
CARESS Working Papres
97-14, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Donald J. Brown & Rosa L. Matzkin, 1995.
"Testable Restrictions on the Equilibrium Manifold,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1109, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- Voorneveld, M. & Norde, H.W., 1997.
"A characterisation of ordinal potential games,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74020, Tilburg University.
- Abraham Neyman, 1997. "Correlated Equilibrium and Potential Games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 223-227.
- Cherchye, L.J.H. & Rock, B. de & Vermeulen, F.M.P., 2004.
"The Collective Model of Household Consumption: A Nonparametric Characterization,"
2004-76, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Laurens Cherchye & Bram De Rock & Frederic Vermeulen, 2007. "The Collective Model of Household Consumption: A Nonparametric Characterization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 553-574, 03.
- Laurens Cherchye & Bram De Rock & Frederic Vermeulen, 2007. "The Collective Model of Household Consumption: A nonparametric characterization," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/98559, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cherchye, L.J.H. & Rock, B. de & Vermeulen, F.M.P., 2007. "The collective model of household consumption: A nonparametric characterization," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194157, Tilburg University.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1988. "Rational Household Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 63-90, January.
- Browning, Martin & Meghir, Costas, 1991. "The Effects of Male and Female Labor Supply on Commodity Demands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 925-51, July.
- Monderer, Dov & Shapley, Lloyd S., 1996. "Potential Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 124-143, May.
- Anat Bracha & Donald J Brown, 2007. "Affective Decision Making: a Behavioral Theory of Choice," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001676, UCLA Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.