How Does Exchange Rate Uncertainty interact with International Trade? A Meta-Analysis Revisited
AbstractSeveral factors have been highlighted to explain the controversial effect of exchange rate uncertainty on international trade. However, the empirical evidence is rather mixed. The main focus of this paper is to reconcile the apparently conflicting results from 59 studies published between 1984 and 2014. We found that the interaction between the two variables is likely to be ambiguous when measured in real rather than in nominal terms, when using “naïve models” rather than GARCH extensions as volatility measurement and when less developed countries are considered. Intuitively, the lack of clearer evidence may be also attributed to the scarcity of studies addressing the robustness of this relationship along several econometric methods and to the fact that neither the exchange rate policy nor the trade policy can be designed without considering regulatory and instrumental factors, which are unfortunately excluded in the majority of researches. To find better paths, further researches should focus on the new methods based on additional variables such as institutional quality proxies and financial development indicators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 56201.
Date of creation: 22 May 2014
Date of revision:
Exchange rate uncertainty; international trade; meta-analysis.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Selmi, Refk, 2013. "Exchange Volatility and Export Performance in Egypt: New Insights from Wavelet Decomposition and Optimal GARCH Model," MPRA Paper 49140, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2013.
- Sauer, Christine & Bohara, Alok K, 2001. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Exports: Regional Differences between Developing and Industrialized Countries," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 133-52, February.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- T. D. Stanley, 2005. "Beyond Publication Bias," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 309-345, 07.
- Aristotelous, Kyriacos, 2001. "Exchange-rate volatility, exchange-rate regime, and trade volume: evidence from the UK-US export function (1889-1999)," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 87-94, July.
- Asseery, A. & Peel, D. A., 1991. "The effects of exchange rate volatility on exports : Some new estimates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 173-177, October.
- Kumar, Ramesh & Dhawan, Ravinder, 1991. "Exchange rate volatility and Pakistan's exports to the developed world, 1974-85," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 1225-1240, September.
- McKenzie, Michael D. & Brooks, Robert D., 1997. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on German-US trade flows," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 73-87, April.
- Caporale, Tony & Doroodian, Khosrow, 1994. "Exchange rate variability and the flow of international trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 49-54, September.
- Patrice Laroche & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2009. "Unions and Profits: A meta-regression Analysis," Post-Print, HAL hal-00648569, HAL.
- Pozo, Susan, 1992. "Conditional Exchange-Rate Volatility and the Volume of International Trade: Evidence from the Early 1900s," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 325-29, May.
- Paul De Grauwe, 1988. "Exchange Rate Variability and the Slowdown in Growth of International Trade," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 63-84, March.
- Peree, Eric & Steinherr, Alfred, 1989. "Exchange rate uncertainty and foreign trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1241-1264, July.
- Bailey, Martin J. & Tavlas, George S. & Ulan, Michael, 1987. "The impact of exchange-rate volatility on export growth: Some theoretical considerations and empirical results," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 225-243.
- Qian, Ying & Varangis, Panos, 1994. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Hinder Export Growth?," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 371-96.
- Verheyen, Florian, 2013. "Exchange rate nonlinearities in EMU exports to the US," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 66-76.
- Chou, W. L., 2000. "Exchange Rate Variability and China's Exports," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 61-79, March.
- Eleanor Doyle, 2001. "Exchange rate volatility and Irish-UK trade, 1979-1992," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 249-265.
- Gianluigi Giorgioni & John Thompson, 2002. "Which volatility? The case of the exports of wheat," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(10), pages 681-684.
- T. D. Stanley, 2001. "Wheat from Chaff: Meta-analysis as Quantitative Literature Review," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 131-150, Summer.
- Chris Doucouliagos, 2005. "Publication Bias in the Economic Freedom and Economic Growth Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 367-387, 07.
- Serge Rey, 2006. "Effective Exchange Rate Volatility And Mena Countries Exports To The Eu," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 23-54, December.
- Stephen B. Jarrell & T. D. Stanley, 1990. "A meta-analysis of the union-nonunion wage gap," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(1), pages 54-67, October.
- Daly, Kevin, 1998. "Does exchange rate volatility impede the volume of Japan's bilateral trade?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 333-348, July.
- Andrew Abbott & Adrian Darnell & Lynne Evans, 2001. "The influence of exchange rate variability on UK exports," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 47-49.
- Arize, A. C., 1996. "Real exchange-rate volatility and trade flows: The experience of eight European economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 187-205.
- Klein, Michael W., 1990. "Sectoral effects of exchange rate volatility on United States exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 299-308, September.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Selmi, Refk, 2014. "How Robust is the Connection between Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Tunisia’s Exports?," MPRA Paper 57505, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee, Jaewoo, 1999. "The Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade in Durables," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 189-201, May.
- Mckenzie, Michael D., 1998. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on Australian trade flows," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 21-38, January.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais & Bruno Larue & Olivier Bonroy, 2004. "Investigating Non-Linearities in the Relationship Between Real Exchange Rate Volatility and Agricultural Trade," International Trade, EconWPA 0407004, EconWPA.
- Andreas Savvides, 1992. "Unanticipated exchange rate variability and the growth of international trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 446-463, September.
- Grobar, Lisa Morris, 1993. "The effect of real exchange rate uncertainty on LDC manufactured exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 367-376, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.