Banking, Inside Money and Outside Money
AbstractThis paper presents an integrated theory of money and banking. I address the following question: when both individuals and banks have private information, what is the optimal way to settle debts? I develop a dynamic model with micro-founded roles for banks and a medium of exchange. I establish two main results: first, markets can improve upon the optimal dynamic contract at the presence of private information. Market prices fully reveal the aggregate states and help solve the incentive problem of the bank. Secondly, it is optimal for the bank to require loans be settled with short-term inside money, i.e. bank money that expires immediately after the settlement of debts. Short-term inside money dominates outside money because the former makes it less costly to induce truthful revelation and achieve more efficient risk sharing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4504.
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
banking; inside money; outside money;
Other versions of this item:
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-08-18 (Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2007-08-18 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2007-08-18 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-08-18 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Andolfatto & Ed Nosal, 2003.
"A Theory of Money and Banking,"
- Ping He & Lixin Huang & Randall Wright, 2005. "Money And Banking In Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(2), pages 637-670, 05.
- Stephen Williamson, 2004. "Limited participation, private money, and credit in a spatial model of money," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 857-875, November.
- Miquel Faig, 2006.
"Divisible Money In An Economy With Villages,"
tecipa-216, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Miquel Faig, 2004. "Divisible Money in an Economy with Villages," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000159, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Miquel Faig, 2004. "Divisible Money in an Economy with Villages," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 248, Econometric Society.
- Aiyagari, S. Rao & Williamson, Stephen, 1997.
"Money and Dynamic Credit Arrangements with Private Information,"
97-19, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Aiyagari, S. Rao & Williamson, Stephen D., 2000. "Money and Dynamic Credit Arrangements with Private Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 248-279, April.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Stephen D. Williamson, 1998. "Money and Dynamic Credit Arrangements with Private Information," Game Theory and Information 9802002, EconWPA.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Stephen D. Williamson, 1998. "Money and dynamic credit arrangements with private information," Working Paper 9807, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Phelan Christopher, 1995. "Repeated Moral Hazard and One-Sided Commitment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 488-506, August.
- James Bullard & Bruce D. Smith, 2001.
"The value of inside and outside money,"
2000-027, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Hongfei Sun, 2006.
"Aggregate Uncertainty, Money and Banking,"
2006 Meeting Papers
58, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- David Andolfatto & Ed Nosal, 2001. "A simple model of money and banking," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q III, pages 20-28.
- Andrew Atkeson & Robert E Lucas, 2010.
"On Efficient Distribution with Private Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2179, David K. Levine.
- Atkeson, Andrew & Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1992. "On Efficient Distribution with Private Information," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 427-53, July.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Neil Wallace, 1999.
"Inside and outside money as alternative media of exchange,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 443-468.
- Cavalcanti, Ricardo de O & Wallace, Neil, 1999. "Inside and Outside Money as Alternative Media of Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 443-57, August.
- Shouyong Shi, 1995.
"Credit and Money in a Search Model with Divisible Commodities,"
917, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shi, Shouyong, 1996. "Credit and Money in a Search Model with Divisible Commodities," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 627-52, October.
- Allen Head & Junfeng Qiu, 2011. "Elastic Money, Inflation, and Interest Rate Policy," Working Papers 1152, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mei Dong, 2009.
"Money and Costly Credit,"
2009 Meeting Papers
404, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.