The bilateral J-Curve hypothesis between Turkey and her 9 trading partners
AbstractApplying ARDL Cointegration, Johansen modelling and generalised impulse response function analyses in this paper, we provide new evidence for the Turkish Bilateral J-curve hypothesis in the short and long-run using both annual aggregated and disaggregated data over 1960 and 2000 period between Turkey and 9 of her major trading partners. We adopt a model that models the real trade balance directly as a function of real exchange rate and real domestic and foreign incomes to test for existence of any cointegration relationship and J-curve pattern. We apply the impulse response function analysis to determine whether shocks to real exchange rate induce the trade balance to follow the J-curve pattern. The results indicate that there is cointegration relationship between the above variables. We were unable to find any support for Turkish bilateral J-Curve hypothesis. However the generalised impulse response functions reveal that in some cases depreciation of the Turkish lira seems to improve the trade balance beyond the equilibrium level in the long-run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4254.
Date of creation: 12 May 2006
Date of revision:
J-curve hypothesis; balance of trade; generalised impulse response function; Error Correction Model VAR model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- F18 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Environment
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirden, Tuvana & Pastine, Ivan, 1995. "Flexible exchange rates and the J-curve: An alternative approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 373-377, June.
- repec:fth:inseep:9645 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Rose, Andrew K., 1990. "Exchange rates and the trade balance : Some evidence from developing countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 271-275, November.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1985. "Devaluation and the J-Curve: Some Evidence from LDCs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 500-504, August.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1996. "Testing for the 'Existence of a Long-run Relationship'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 9622, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Yellen, Janet L., 1989. "Is there a J-curve?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 53-68, July.
- Faruk Selcuk, 1997. "A Brief Account of the Turkish Economy, 1987-1996," Departmental Working Papers, Bilkent University, Department of Economics 971, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Malixi, Margaret, 1992. "More evidence on the J curve from LDCs," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 641-653, October.
- M. Bahmani-Oskooee & Gour Goswami, 2003. "A disaggregated approach to test the J-Curve phenomenon: Japan versus her major trading partners," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 102-113, March.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Artatrana Ratha, 2007. "The S-curve Dynamics of US Bilateral Trade," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 430-439, 05.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Janardhanan Alse, 1994. "Short-Run versus Long-Run Effects of Devaluation: Error-Correction Modeling and Cointegration," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 453-464, Fall.
- Helen B. Junz & Rudolf R. Rhomberg, 1973. "Price competitiveness in export trade among industrial countries," International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Artatrana Ratha, 2004. "The J-curve dynamics of U.S. bilateral trade," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 32-38, March.
- Himarios, Daniel, 1985. "The effects of devaluation on the trade balance: A critical view and re- examination of Mile's `new results'," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 553-563, December.
- Miles, Marc A, 1979. "The Effects of Devaluation on the Trade Balance and the Balance of Payments: Some New Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(3), pages 600-20, June.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Junz, Helen B & Rhomberg, Rudolf R, 1973. "Price Competitiveness in Export Trade Among Industrial Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 412-18, May.
- Lal, Anil K. & Lowinger, Thomas C., 2002. "Nominal effective exchange rate and trade balance adjustment in South Asia countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 371-383.
- Yeldan, A. Erinc, 1997. "Financial liberalization and fiscal repression in Turkey: Policy analysis in a CGE model with financial markets," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 79-117, February.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Taggert Brooks, 1999. "Bilateral J-Curve between U.S. and her trading partners," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 156-165, March.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992. "The Power of Cointegration Tests," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Leventakis, John A., 1989. "The effectiveness of devaluation: A general equilibrium assessment with reference to Greece," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 247-271.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Josef Brada & Ali Kutan & Su Zhou, 1997. "The exchange rate and the balance of trade: The Turkish experience," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 675-692.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Tatchawan Kantipong, 2001. "Bilateral J-Curve Between Thailand and Her Trading Partners," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 107-117, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.