The S-curve Dynamics of US Bilateral Trade
AbstractA few studies in dynamic general-equilibrium setting have argued that the trade balance is negatively correlated with current and future movements in the terms of trade but positively correlated with past movements, hence the S-curve phenomenon. Using aggregate trade data and the terms of trade has not provided strong empirical counterpart. However, in this paper, when we disaggregate the trade data between the US and her trading partners we find stronger results in support of the S-curve. Copyright � 2007 The Authors; Journal compilation � 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Ratha, Artatrana, 2010. "S-Curve dynamics of trade between U.S. and China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 212-223, June.
- Jamilov, Rustam, 2013.
"Capital mobility in the Caucasus,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 155-170.
- Rustam Jamilov, 2013. "J-Curve Dynamics and the Marshall–Lerner Condition: Evidence from Azerbaijan," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 313-323, February.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2008.
"The J-Curve Dynamics of Turkey: An Application of ARDL Model,"
6824, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2008. "The J-curve dynamics of Turkey: an application of ARDL model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(18), pages 2423-2429.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2008.
"The bilateral J-curve: Turkey versus her 13 trading partners,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 236-243, June.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2007. "The Bilateral J-curve: Turkey versus her 13 Trading Partners," MPRA Paper 3564, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amit Ghosh, 2012. "Is there an S-curve relationship between U.S. trade balance and terms of trade? An analysis across industries and countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 325-337.
- Jamilov, Rustam, 2012. "Is There a J-curve for Azerbaijan? Evidence from Industry-Level Analysis," MPRA Paper 39370, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gour Gobinda Goswami & Sadaquat Junayed, 2006. "Pooled Mean Group Estimation of the Bilateral Trade Balance Equation: USA vis-a-vis her Trading Partners," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 515-526.
- Kyophilavong, Phouphet & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Uddin, Gazi Salah, 2013.
"Does J-curve phenomenon exist in case of Laos? An ARDL approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 833-839.
- Kyophilavong, Phouphet & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Salah Uddin, Gazi, 2013. "Does J-Curve Phenomenon Exist in Case of Laos? An ARDL Approach," MPRA Paper 49052, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Aug 2013.
- Kyophilavong, Phouphet & Shahbaz, Muhammad & Salah Uddin, Gazi, 2013. "Does J-Curve Phenomenon Exist in Case of Laos? An ARDL Approach," MPRA Paper 48084, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 Jul 2013.
- Jamilov, Rustam, 2011. "J-Curve Dynamics and the Marshall-Lerner Condition: Evidence from Azerbaijan," MPRA Paper 36799, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2012.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Marzieh Bolhasani, 2008. "The J-Curve: Evidence from commodity trade between Canada and the U.S," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 207-225, July.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Scott W. Hegerty, 2010. "The J- and S-curves: a survey of the recent literature," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 580-596, September.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Ratha, Artatrana, 2011. "S-curve dynamics of trade between Sweden and her trading partners," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 355-362, September.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Dan Xi, 2012. "China-Germany commodity trade and the S-curve," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 20-28, February.
- Dmitriev, Alexandre & Roberts, Ivan, 2013. "The cost of adjustment: On comovement between the trade balance and the terms of trade," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 689-700.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Marzieh Bolhasani, 2011. "How Sensitive is U.S.-Canadian Trade to the Exchange Rate: Evidence from Industry Data," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 53-91, February.
- Huiran Pan, 2013. "Asset Revaluation And Trade Balance Under Liability Dollarization: The Case Of South Korea," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 1-32, September.
- Kanchana Senanayake Amarasingha Appuhamilage & Ahmed Abdulhusain Ali Alhayky, 2010. "Exchange rate movements' effect on Sri Lanka-China trade," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 254-267, December.
- Kimbugwe, Hassan, 2006. "The bilateral J-Curve hypothesis between Turkey and her 9 trading partners," MPRA Paper 4254, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohsen Bahmani-oskooee & Hadise Fariditavana, 2014. "Do Exchange Rate Changes have Symmetric Effect on the S-Curve?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(1), pages 164-173.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.