Export, Economic Integration and Exchange Rate Volatility in Turkey and Malaysia
AbstractUsing annual data (1970-2004), this study re-examined the hypothesis that exchange rate volatility may dampen export demand in Malaysia and Turkey. In particular, this study attempts to investigate the impact of exchange rate volatility on exports after taking into consideration the presence of regional economic integration. In addition, the role of regional economic integration in promoting export is also of concern to this study. The empirical evidence demonstrates that despite the significant, minimal impact of membership to regional economic integration for both economies, regional integration remains an important and valid approach for future economic development for both economies. Meanwhile, similar to the findings of previous studies the impact of exchange rate volatility on exports is consistently negative. However, it is no longer significant in the case of Turkey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41519.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL FINANCE AND ECONOMICS 9.5(2009): pp. 42-54
Export; Exchange rate volatility; Economic integration.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Madsen, J., 1991. "Accounting for Supply, Integration and Income in Foreign Trade," Papers 230, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Teuku Rahmatsyah & Gulasekaran Rajaguru & Reza Siregar, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Volatility, Trade and Â“Fixing for LifeÂ” in Thailand,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2002-12, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Rahmatsyah, Teuku & Rajaguru, Gulasekaran & Siregar, Reza Y., 2002. "Exchange-rate volatility, trade and "fixing for life" in Thailand," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 445-470, December.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Johan & Torstensson, Rasha, 1995.
"Growth Effects of European Integration,"
Working Paper Series
439, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Rasha, 1996. "Growth Effects of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1465, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magnus Henrekson & Johan Torstensson & Rasha Torstensson,, . "Growth Effects of European Integration," Discussion Papers 96/1, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Ross Levine & Maria Carkovic, 2001.
"How much bang for the buck? Mexico and dollarization,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 339-369.
- Levine, Ross & Carkovic, Maria, 2001. "How Much Bang for the Buck? Mexico and Dollarization," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 339-63, May.
- Ben-David, Dan, 1993. "Equalizing Exchange: Trade Liberalization and Income Convergence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 653-79, August.
- Arize, A. C., 1997. "Foreign trade and exchange-rate risk in the G-7 countries: Cointegration and error-correction models," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-112.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Mckenzie, Michael D., 1998. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on Australian trade flows," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 21-38, January.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The mirage of fixed exchange rates,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Tajul Ariffin Masron & Zulkornain Yusop, 2006. "Optimum Currency Area Criteria and Volatility in ASEAN," Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, vol. 2(2), pages 1-18.
- Serge Rey, 2006. "Effective Exchange Rate Volatility And Mena Countries Exports To The Eu," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 23-54, December.
- Aristotelous, Kyriacos, 2001. "Exchange-rate volatility, exchange-rate regime, and trade volume: evidence from the UK-US export function (1889-1999)," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 87-94, July.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R, 1993. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Depress Trade Flows? Evidence from Error-Correction Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 700-706, November.
- Klein, Michael W., 1990. "Sectoral effects of exchange rate volatility on United States exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 299-308, September.
- Sanjeev Gupta, 1980. "An application of the monetary approach to black market exchange rates," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 235-252, June.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Viaene, Jean-Marie & de Vries, Casper G., 1992.
"International trade and exchange rate volatility,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1311-1321, August.
- Refik Erzan & Alpay Filiztekin & Unal Zenginobuz, 2007.
"Turkey's Customs Union with the European Union: A Framework for Evaluating the Impact of Economic Integration,"
2007/15, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Erzan, Refik & Filiztekin, Alpay & Zenginobuz, Unal, 2002. "Turkey’s Customs Union with the European Union: A Framework for Evaluating the Impact of Economic Integration," MPRA Paper 382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harald Badinger, 2005. "Growth Effects of Economic Integration: Evidence from the EU Member States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(1), pages 50-78, April.
- Vamvakidis, Athanasios, 2002. " How Robust Is the Growth-Openness Connection? Historical Evidence," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 57-80, March.
- Vanhoudt, Patrick, 1998.
"Did the European Unification Induce Economic Growth? In Search of Scale-Effects and Persistent Changes,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
270, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Patrick Vanhoudt, 1999. "Did the European unification induce economic growth? In search of scale effects and persistent changes," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 193-220, June.
- McKenzie, Michael D. & Brooks, Robert D., 1997. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on German-US trade flows," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 73-87, April.
- Arize, Augustine C & Osang, Thomas & Slottje, Daniel J, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Volatility and Foreign Trade: Evidence from Thirteen LDC's," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 10-17, January.
- Baldwin, Richard & Seghezza, Elena, 1996. "Growth and European Integration: Towards an Empirical Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1393, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hooper, Peter & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1978. "The effect of exchange rate uncertainty on the prices and volume of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 483-511, November.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1999. "Outward Orientation and Economic Development in Malaysia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(8), pages 1119-1139, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.