Did the European unification induce economic growth? In search of scale effects and persistent changes
AbstractIn this paper we investigate whether the European unification has had an impact on the Union's average labor productivity growth. Based on a time series approach we do not find a scale-effect as suggested by new growth theory. However, the data do not reject the hypothesis that the EU growth experience is well described by a textbook Solow model. Panel data estimations moreover firmly reject the idea of a growth bonus associated with EU membership.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv.
Volume (Year): 135 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hindenburgufer 66, D-24105 Kiel
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10290/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Vanhoudt, Patrick, 1998. "Did the European Unification Induce Economic Growth? In Search of Scale-Effects and Persistent Changes," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 270, Stockholm School of Economics.
- E13 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Neoclassical
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1990.
"Product Development and International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
2540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1988. "Product Development And International Trade," Papers 132, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan, 1989. "Product Development and International Trade," Scholarly Articles 3445094, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Johan & Torstensson, Rasha, 1997.
"Growth effects of European integration,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1537-1557, August.
- Magnus Henrekson & Johan Torstensson & Rasha Torstensson,, . "Growth Effects of European Integration," Discussion Papers 96/1, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Rasha, 1996. "Growth Effects of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1465, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Johan & Torstensson, Rasha, 1995. "Growth Effects of European Integration," Working Paper Series 439, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Baldwin, Richard & Seghezza, Elena, 1996. "Growth and European Integration: Towards an Empirical Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1393, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nancy L Stokey, 1986.
"Learning-by-Doing and the Introduction of New Goods,"
699, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, revised May 1987.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1988. "Learning by Doing and the Introduction of New Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 701-17, August.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Nonneman, Walter & Vanhoudt, Patrick, 1996. "A Further Augmentation of the Solow Model and the Empirics of Economic Growth for OECD Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 943-53, August.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1990.
"Economic Integration and Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "Time Series Tests of Endogenous Growth Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 495-525, May.
- Raymond, Jennie E & Rich, Robert W, 1997. "Oil and the Macroeconomy: A Markov State-Switching Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 193-213, May.
- Alwyn Young, 1995. "Growth Without Scale Effects," NBER Working Papers 5211, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- de Melo, Jaime & Montenegro, Claudio & Panagariya, Arvind, 1992. "Regional integration, old and new," Policy Research Working Paper Series 985, The World Bank.
- Brada, Josef C & Mendez, Jose A, 1988. "An Estimate of the Dynamic Effects of Economic Integration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 163-68, February.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E, 1990. "A Convex Model of Equilibrium Growth: Theory and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1008-38, October.
- Brodzicki Tomasz, 2003.
"In search for accumulative effects of European economic integration,"
- Brodzicki Tomasz, 2003. "In search for accumulative effects of European economic integration," International Trade 0310005, EconWPA.
- Tomasz Brodzicki, 2003. "In search for accumulative effects of European economic integration," Working Papers 0301, Economics of European Integration Department, Faculty of Economics, University of Gdansk, Poland.
- Potvorszki Gabor, . "Contributions To Regional Disparities And Convergence In The Eu," Description: Managerial Challenges of the Contemporary Society 32, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Babes-Bolyai University.
- Arjan Lejour & Vlado Solanic & Paul Tang, 2006.
"EU accession and income growth: an empirical approach,"
CPB Discussion Paper
72, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Arjan Lejour & Vladimir Solanic & Paul Tang, 2009. "EU Accession and Income Growth: An Empirical Approach," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 127-144, May.
- Tomasz Brodzicki, 2005. "New empirical insights into the growth effects of economic integration within EU," International Trade 0505014, EconWPA.
- Ziltener, Patrick, 2002. "Wirtschaftliche Effekte des EU-Binnenmarktprogramms," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 15, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Rosa Capolupo & Giuseppe Celi, 2008. "Openness And Economic Growth: A Comparative Study Of Alternative Trading Regimes," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 116, pages 5-36.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Doris Ritzberger-Grunwald & Maria Antoinette Silgoner, 2008.
"Growth, convergence and EU membership,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(5), pages 643-656.
- Lucas Bretschger & Thomas M. Steger, 2004.
"The dynamics of economic integration : theory and policy,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
04/32, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Lucas Bretschger & Thomas M. Steger, 2004. "The dynamics of economic integration: Theory and policy," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 119-134, January.
- Wilhelm Kohler & Christian Arndt & Anselm Mattes & Michael Knogler & Fidelis Lankes & Jarko Fidmuc, 2007. "Die neuen Mitglieder: Motor oder Bremse der europäischen Integration?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 60(14), pages 03-20, 07.
- Clemente, Jesús & Pueyo, Fernando & Sanz, Fernando, 2009. "Market potential, European Union and growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 719-730, September.
- Young-Bae Kim, 2008. "Is There A Trade-off Between Regional Growth and National Income? Theory and Evidence from the EU," School of Economics Discussion Papers 1008, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- masron, Tajul arrifin & Mohd naseem niaz, Ahmad, 2008. "Export, Economic Integration and Exchange Rate Volatility in Turkey and Malaysia," MPRA Paper 41519, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bas Straathof & Gert Jan Linders & Arjan Lejour & Jan MÃ¶hlmann, 2008. "The internal market and the Dutch economy: implications for trade and economic growth," CPB Document 168, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Urmas Varblane & Priit Vahter, 2005. "An Analysis Of The Economic Convergence Process In The Transition Countries," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 37, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Dicke, Hugo & Foders, Federico, 2000. "Wirtschaftliche Auswirkungen einer EU-Erweiterung auf die Mitgliedstaaten," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2510, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2002. "EU Expansion and EU Growth," Working Papers 487, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.