Accelerating ASEAN economic integration: Moving beyond AFTA
AbstractProgress and realisation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) can only be achieved if there is a clear blueprint, which identifies the end goal, the process to reach the end goal and a framework for proper assessment of the costs and benefits of an ASEAN Economic Community. AEC should not be based on the AFTA in which an agreement was reached first and the details negotiated afterwards earning it the nickname of "Agree First Talk After". A "new ASEAN way" will have to be developed and accepted as the rule of the game before the AEC has any serious chance of fulfilling the role of making ASEAN more competitive and attractive for world business.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Strategic and International Studies, Jakarta, Indonesia in its series CSIS Economics Working Paper Series with number WPE091.
Date of creation: Mar 2005
Date of revision:
ASEAN Economic Community (AEC); regional integration; economic cooperation;
Other versions of this item:
- Hadi Soesastro, 2005. "Accelerating ASEAN Economic Integration - Moving Beyond AFTA," Trade Working Papers 22034, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boldea, O. & Engwerda, J.C. & Michalak, T. & Plasmans, J.E.J. & Salmah, S., 2011. "A Simulation Study of an ASEAN Monetary Union (Replaces CentER DP 2010-100)," Discussion Paper 2011-098, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Engwerda, J. & Boldea, O. & Michalak, T. & Plasmans, J. & Salmah,, 2012. "A simulation study of an ASEAN monetary union," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1870-1890.
- Emmy, F.A. & Mohd Mansor, Ismail, 2009. "Trade Performance of Fruit and Vegetable Industry in Selected ASEAN Countries," MPRA Paper 16928, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hank Giokhay Lim & Kester TAY Yi-Xun, 2008. "Regional Integration and Inclusive Development: Lessons from ASEAN Experience," Working Papers 5908, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Laurence Henry, 2007. "Trade and Economic Arrangements Between India and South Asia in the Context of Regional Construction and Globalisation," Working Papers id:1055, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arya B. Gaduh) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Arya B. Gaduh to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.