Assessing the Impact of Deterrence on Road Safety due to the Demerit Point System
AbstractThis paper assesses the impact of a decrease in demerit points on the probability of traffic violation. To address the inherent heterogeneity of drivers, I use the expiration process of points to compare the behaviour of similar drivers with different demerit points. I find that a 3-point decrease in the number of demerit points only has an impact for drivers close to the limit, but increases their probability of violation by 50 to 80 percent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39439.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Demerit point system; deterrence; driving; road safety; traffic violation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K32 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Environmental, Health, and Safety Law
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAW-2012-06-25 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-TRE-2012-06-25 (Transport Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bourgeon, Jean-Marc & Picard, Pierre, 2007.
"Point-record driving licence and road safety: An economic approach,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 235-258, February.
- Jean Marc Bourgeon & Pierre Picard, 2007. "Point-record driving licence and road safety: an economic approach," Working Papers 17820, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Jean-Marc Bourgeon & Pierre Picard, 2007. "Point-record driving licence and road safety : an economic approach," Post-Print hal-00243024, HAL.
- Jean Pinquet & Georges Dionne & Charles Vanasse & Mathieu Maurice, 2009.
"Incentive Mechanisms for Safe Driving: A Comparative Analysis with Dynamic Data,"
- Georges Dionne & Jean Pinquet & Mathieu Maurice & Charles Vanasse, 2011. "Incentive Mechanisms for Safe Driving: A Comparative Analysis with Dynamic Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 218-227, February.
- Jean Pinquet & Georges Dionne & Charles Vanasse & Maurice Mathieu, 2011. "Incentive Mechanisms for Safe Driving: A Comparative Analysis with Dynamic Data," Post-Print hal-00567866, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.