Aides aux parents âgés et allocation intra-familiale
[Transfers to elderly parents and intra household allocation]
AbstractIn this paper, we examine how children care for their elderly parents and the motives of these family transfers, accounting for interactions between parents and their different children. We study a theoretical model of intergenerational transfers based on altruism, where siblings care for their parents (a public good). Decisions of upstream assistance are analysed using data from a trigenerational survey.Econometric results, which control for unobserved heterogeneity within families using fixed effects, show that time-related transfers to elders mainly depend on the parental needs and the children’s availability. Transfer behaviors from children are rather independent from each other: there does not exist any positive or negative competition within siblings when caring for elderly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38572.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Family; solidarity; caring; parents;
Other versions of this item:
- François-Charles Wolff & Mohamed Jellal, 2002. "Aides aux parents âgés et allocation intra-familiale," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 53(4), pages 863-885.
- Mohamed Jellal & François-Charles Wolff, 2002. "Aides aux parents âgés et allocation intra-familiale," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 53(4), pages 863-885.
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François-Charles Wolff, 2000. "Les transferts versés aux enfants et aux parents : altruisme ou échange intertemporel?," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 142(1), pages 67-91.
- Kathleen McGarry & Robert F. Schoeni, 1995.
"Transfer Behavior within the Family: Results from the Asset and Health Dynamics Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
5099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McGarry, K. & Schoeni, R.F., 1995. "Transfer Behavior With the Family: Results from the Asset and Health Dynamics Survey," Papers 95-09, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Schoeni, Robert F, 1997.
"Private Interhousehold Transfers of Money and Time: New Empirical Evidence,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(4), pages 423-48, December.
- Lam, D. & Schoeni, R.F., 1993. "Private Interhousehold Transfers of Money and Time: New Empirical Evidence," Papers 93-26, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Maxim Engers & Steven Stern, 2002.
"Long-Term Care and Family Bargaining,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 73-114, February.
- Hiedemann, Bridget & Stern, Steven, 1999.
"Strategic play among family members when making long-term care decisions,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 29-57, September.
- Steven Stern & Bridget Hiedemann, 1999. "Strategic Play Among Family Members When Making Long-Term Care Decisions," Virginia Economics Online Papers 321, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Robert F. Schoeni, 2000.
"Support Networks within the Family As a Public Good Problem,"
00-06, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Schoeni, R.F., 2000. "Support Networks within the Family As a Public Good Problem," Papers 00-06, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Sloan, Frank A & Picone, Gabriel & Hoerger, Thomas J, 1997.
"The Supply of Children's Time to Disabled Elderly Parents,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(2), pages 295-308, April.
- Sloan, Frank & Gabriel Picone & Thomas J. Hoerger, 1995. "The Supply of Children's Time to Disabled Elderly Parents," Working Papers 95-46, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2002. "Cultural evolutionary altruism: theory and evidence," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 241-262, June.
- Fontaine, Roméo & Gramain, Agnès & Wittwer, Jérôme, 2009. "Providing Care for an Elderly Parent: Interactions Among Siblings ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1879, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fontaine, Roméo & Gramain, Agnès & Wittwer, Jérôme, 2007. "Les configurations d'aide familiales mobilisées autour des personnes âgées dépendantes en Europe," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1801, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mohamed JELLAL & François-Charles WOLFF, 2005.
"Dynamique des transferts intergénérationnels et effet de démonstration,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 77, pages 81-107.
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2005.
"Dynamique des transferts intergénérationnels et effet de démonstration
[Dynamics of Intergenerational Transfers and the Demonstration Effect]," MPRA Paper 38419, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2005. "Dynamique des transferts intergénérationnels et effet de démonstration
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.