Botswana’s revealed comparative advantage
AbstractAnalysis of Botswana’s competitiveness in world trade has been presented based on indices of revealed comparative advantage (RCA) calculated for the period 1999 and 2004. Results show that Botswana has RCA in diamonds, copper matte, and meat of bovine animals, among other products. Changes in values of RCA over time reinforce the dynamic nature of comparative advantage. The study established that the country gained comparative specialization in the following products: sugar products; copper ores and concentrates, in which it previously had comparative disadvantage. On the downward side, the country lost specialization in products such as coal gas and water gas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34564.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Africa; Botswana; exports; revealed comparative advantage; revealed comparative disadvantage;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash & Woodland, Alan, 1982. "The relationship between factor endowments and commodity trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 201-214, November.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1980. "The General Validity of the Law of Comparative Advantage," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 941-57, October.
- Seev Hirsch, 1974. "Capital or technology? Confronting the neo-factor proportions and neo-technology accounts of international trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 110(4), pages 535-563, December.
- Widgrén, Mika, 2005. "Revealed Comparative Advantage in the Internal Market," Discussion Papers 989, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Juergen Donges & James Riedel, 1977. "The expansion of manufactured exports in developing countries: An empirical assessment of s upply and demand issues," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 113(1), pages 58-87, March.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "The Factor Content of Foreign Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 84-94, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.