Tendances et profil de la pauvreté au Cap-Vert de 2001 à 2007 : Analyses quantitative et qualitative
[Poverty Trends and Profile in Cape Verde from 2001 to 2007: Quantitative and Qualitative analyses]
AbstractCape Verde has enjoyed rapid economic growth over the past twenty years. Existing studies suggest hat the proportion of the population in poverty declined from 49.0 percent in 1988-89 to 36.7 percent in 2001-02. The results presented here suggest a continuation of this trend with only 26.6 percent of the population in poverty in 2007. This article describes the methodology used to derive these estimates and presents a profile of poverty according to household characteristics. In addition, the results of a qualitative analysis of household perceptions vis-à-vis their living conditions conducted in 2007 using focus groups and in-depth interviews are also discussed. There is some convergence between the results of the quantitative analysis and those of the qualitative analysis, in that many of those who participated in the focus groups confirm that their standard of living has improved. But the qualitative analysis also reveals persisting vulnerability, particularly in the area of employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34377.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Poverty; Cape Verde;
Other versions of this item:
- Propere Backiny-Yetna & Flávia Carbonari & Quentin Wodon, 2010. "Tendances et profil de la pauvreté au Cap-Vert de 2001 à 2007 : Analyses quantitative et qualitative," Perspective Afrique, Association Africaine pour les Sciences sociales, vol. 5(1-3), pages 1-34.
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Scott, Christopher & Wodon, Quentin, 2002. "Poverty Measurement and Analysis," MPRA Paper 45362, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angel-Urdinola, Diego & Wodon, Quentin, 2007. "Assessing Absolute and Relative Poverty Trends with Limited Data in Cape Verde," MPRA Paper 11111, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.