Poverty Measurement and Analysis
AbstractThis chapter offers a primer on poverty, inequality, and vulnerability analysis and a guide to resources on this topic. It is written for decision makers who want to define the type of information they need to monitor poverty reduction and make appropriate policy decisions and for the technical experts in charge of the analysis. The chapter takes a broad look at tools for analysis and provides a brief introduction to each topic. It also outlines why certain information is essential in policymaking and how this information can be generated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45362.
Date of creation: Apr 2002
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Appleton & Tom Emwanu & Johnson Kagugube & James Muwonge, 1999.
"Changes in poverty in Uganda, 1992-1997,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1999-22, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Christophe Muller, 1997.
"Transient seasonal and chronic poverty of peasants: Evidence from Rwanda,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1997-08, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Christophe Muller, 1997. "Transient seasonal and chronic poverty of peasants: evidence from Rwanda," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1997-08, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2001. "Migration, Poverty, and Housing: Welfare Comparisons Using Sequential Stochastic Dominance," Cahiers de recherche 01-01, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke, revised 2002.
- Grosh, Margaret E, 1997. "The Policymaking Uses of Multitopic Household Survey Data: A Primer," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 12(2), pages 137-60, August.
- Woden, Q.T. & Ayres, W. & Barenstein, M. & Hicks, N. & Lee, K. & Maloney, W. & Peeters, P. & Siaens, C. & Yitzjaki, S., 2000. "Poverty and Policy in Latin America and Caribeean," Papers 467, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- David Madden, 1999.
"Relative or Absolute Poverty Lines - A New Approach,"
199909, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Madden, David, 2000. "Relative or Absolute Poverty Lines: A New Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(2), pages 181-99, June.
- Madden, D., 1999. "Relative or Absolute Poverty Lines: A New Approach," Papers 99/9, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Quentin Wodon, 1997. "Food energy intake and cost of basic needs: Measuring poverty in Bangladesh," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 66-101.
- Wodon, Quentin T., 1997. "Targeting the poor using ROC curves," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2083-2092, December.
- Duclos, J. & Makdissi, P., 1999.
"Sequential Stochastic Dominance and the Robustness of Poverty Orderings,"
99/6, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Paul Makdissi, 2005. "Sequential Stochastic Dominance And The Robustness Of Poverty Orderings," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 63-87, 03.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul, 1999. "Sequential Stochastic Dominance and the Robustness of Poverty Orderings," Cahiers de recherche 9905, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Ravallion, M. & Datt, G., 1991. "Growth and Redistribution Components of Changes in Poverty Measures," Papers 83, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
- World Bank, 1996. "Reflections from the Participation Sourcebook," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11638, The World Bank.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.