Inequality, income and poverty: comparative global evidence
AbstractAnalysing a large sample of 1980-2004 unbalanced panel data, the current study presents comparative global evidence on the role of (income) inequality in poverty reduction. The evidence involves both an indirect channel via the tendency of high inequality to decrease the rate at which income is transformed to poverty reduction, and the tendency of rising inequality to increase poverty. Based on the basic-needs approach, an analysis-of-covariance model is estimated, with the headcount measure of poverty as the dependent variable, and the Gini coefficient and PPP-adjusted mean income as explanatory variables. The study finds that the responsiveness of poverty to income growth is a decreasing function of inequality, and that the income elasticity of poverty is actually smaller than the inequality elasticity. Thus, income distribution can play a more important role than might be traditionally acknowledged. Found also is a large variation across regions (and countries) in the poverty effects of inequality. A version of this paper has been accepted for publication in Social Science Quarterly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BWPI, The University of Manchester in its series Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series with number 14010.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2010. "Inequality, Income, and Poverty: Comparative Global Evidence," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 91(s1), pages 1432-1446.
- Fosu, Augustin K., 2010. "Inequality, Income and Poverty: Comparative Global Evidence," Working Paper Series wp2010-93, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-LTV-2010-12-23 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-PBE-2010-12-23 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2010-12-23 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2011.
"Growth, Inequality, and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries: Recent Global Evidence,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2011-07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2011. "Growth, inequality, and poverty reduction in developing countries: recent global evidence," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 14711, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2011. "Growth, Inequality, and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries: Recent Global Evidence," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2011. "Growth, Inequality, and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries: Recent Global Evidence," CSAE Working Paper Series 2011-07, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- John Anyanwu, 2013. "Working Paper 181 - Determining the Correlates of Poverty for Inclusive Growth in Africa," Working Paper Series 979, African Development Bank.
- Tausch, Arno, 2011. "Costa Rica, superstar? some reflections on the global drivers and bottlenecks of the happy planet index," MPRA Paper 33226, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arno Tausch & Almas Heshmati, 2012.
"Migration, Openness and the Global Preconditions of "Smart Development","
Bogazici Journal of Economics and Administrative Sciences,
Bogazici University, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 1-62.
- Tausch, Arno & Heshmati, Almas, 2011. "Migration, Openness and the Global Preconditions of 'Smart Development'," IZA Discussion Papers 6169, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alexander Cotte Poveda & Clara Inés Pardo Martínez, 2011. "Las tendencias de la pobreza y la desigualdad: una evidencia para los departamentos de Colombia," Ensayos Revista de Economia, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Economia, vol. 0(2), pages 29-50, November.
- John R. Barner & David Okech & Meghan A. Camp, 2014. "Socio-Economic Inequality, Human Trafficking, and the Global Slave Trade," Societies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(2), pages 148-160, April.
- Muñoz Ocaña, Yolanda & Torres Jiménez, Mercedes, 2012. "Análisis de la ayuda oficial al desarrollo para servicios sociales básicos en el siglo XXI/Analysis of Official Development Aid for Basic Social Services in the 21st century," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 1023-1048, Diciembre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rowena Harding).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.