A Critical Review of Studies on the Social and Economic Impacts of Vietnam’s International Economic Integration
AbstractThe study by Rama and Sa (2005) focuses on identifying similarities between the findings of the CGE studies. The present study attempts, instead, to focus on differences. Do studies really differ that much? This overall question is addressed by providing a detailed review of assumptions, data, methodology, and results of the CGE models. This overview makes it possible to assess another issue. The results of all the CGE studies tend to be rather aggregate in nature and they treat on issues which no longer appear that essential in the policy making process; i.e. tariffs rather than legal reform and ‘services trade’.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29789.
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Vietnam; Economic Integration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ianchovichina, Elena, 2003. "GTAP-DD: A Model for Analyzing Trade Reforms in the Presence of Duty Drawbacks," GTAP Technical Papers 1192, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Nguyen Chan & Madanmohan Ghosh & John Whalley, 1999. "Evaluating Tax Reform in Vietnam Using General Equilibrium Methods," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9906, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philip Abbott & Jeanet Bentzen & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Vietnam’s Accession to the WTO: Lessons from Past Trade Agreements," Discussion Papers 07-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Van de Walle, Dominique, 2002. "The static and dynamic incidence of Vietnam's public safety net," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2791, The World Bank.
- Henning Tarp Jensen & Finn Tarp, 2005.
"Trade Liberalization and Spatial Inequality: a Methodological Innovation in a Vietnamese Perspective,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 69-86, 02.
- Tarp Jensen, Henning & Tarp, Finn, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and Spatial Inequality: A Methodological Innovation in Vietnamese Perspective," Working Papers UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bourguignon, François & Robilliard, Anne-Sophie & Robinson, Sherman, 2008. "Examining the Social Impact of the Indonesian Financial Crisis Using a Macro-Micro Model," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/5130, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Que, Nguyen Ngoc & Que, Nguyen Trung, 2000. "Effects of Trade Liberalization on Agriculture in Viet Nam: Commodity Aspects," Working Papers 32716, United Nations Centre for Alleviation of Poverty Through Secondary Crops' Development in Asia and the Pacific (CAPSA).
- Tarp, Finn & Roland-Holst, David & Rand, John, 2002.
"Trade and Income Growth in Vietnam: Estimates from a New Social Accounting Matrix,"
29395, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Finn Tarp & David Roland-Holst & John Rand, 2002. "Trade and Income Growth in Vietnam: Estimates from a New Social Accounting Matrix," Economic Systems Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 157-184.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J., 1998.
"Agglomeration and Economic Development: Import Substitution Vs. Trade Liberalization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1782, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J, 1999. "Agglomeration and Economic Development: Import Substitution vs. Trade Liberalisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(455), pages 292-311, April.
- Diego Puga & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Agglomeration and Economic Development: Import Substitution versus Trade Liberalisation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0377, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Devaragan, Shantayanan & Lewis, Jeffrey D. & Robinson, Sherman, 1990. "Policy lessons from trade-focused, two-sector models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 625-657.
- David Vanzetti & Pham Lan Huong, 2006. "Vietnam's Trade Policy Dilemmas," Trade Working Papers 22036, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Abbott, Philip & Bentzen, Jeanet & Tarp, Finn, 2009. "Trade and Development: Lessons from Vietnam's Past Trade Agreements," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 341-353, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.