Why had the Money Market Approach been irrelevant in explaining inflation in Azerbaijan during the rapid economic growth period?
AbstractThe study examines whether inflation process can be explained within the framework of the Money Market Approach in the third stage of economic development of Azerbaijan economy covering 2004-2008. By employing dynamic modeling study concludes that the Money Market Approach has not been relevant for explaining Azerbaijani inflation. Because Azerbaijan, a resource rich small open economy in transition processes, has some stylized facts which are important to take into account in the analysis of the inflation. Since the Money Market Approach seems irrelevant one, the paper puts forward application of other alternative explanations for Azerbaijani inflation in the future. In this regard analyzing inflation in the context of resource dependence seems one of the relevant approaches due to high price increases mainly sourced from oil revenues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29559.
Date of creation: Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Inflation rate; Money Market Approach; Transition economy; Resource Abundance; Oil and Non-oil Sectors; Econometric modeling; Azerbaijan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P24 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - National Income, Product, and Expenditure; Money; Inflation
- Q33 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - Resource Booms (Dutch Disease)
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2011-03-26 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MON-2011-03-26 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2011-03-26 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Brouwer, Gordon & Ericsson, Neil R, 1998.
"Modeling Inflation in Australia,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 433-49, October.
- Gordon de Brouwer & Neil R. Ericsson, 1995. "Modelling inflation in Australia," International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 530, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gordon de Brouwer & Neil R. Ericsson, 1995. "Modelling Inflation in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers, Reserve Bank of Australia rdp9510, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Hasanov, Fakhri, 2010.
"The impact of real oil price on real effective exchange rate: The case of Azerbaijan,"
33493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fakhri Hasanov, 2010. "The Impact of Real Oil Price on Real Effective Exchange Rate: The Case of Azerbaijan," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1041, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Valery Chernookiy, 2006.
"Model of Inflation Processes in the Republic of Belarus,"
The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics, IUP Publications,
IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 50 - 74, February.
- Valery Chernookiy, 2005. "Model Of Inflation Processes In The Republic Of Belarus," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 0505002, EconWPA.
- Shuang Ding & Omar Al Shehabi, 2008. "Estimating Equilibrium Exchange Rates for Armenia and Georgia," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 08/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter B. Clark & Ronald MacDonald, 2000. "Filtering the Beer," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 00/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Melisso Boschi & Alessandro Girardi, 2005.
"Euro Area inflation: long-run determinants and short-run dynamics,"
ISAE Working Papers, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY)
60, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Melisso Boschi & Alessandro Girardi, 2007. "Euro area inflation: long-run determinants and short-run dynamics," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 9-24.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, 2002. "Modelling Inflation in EU Accession Countries: The Case of the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence wp09, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Hasanov Fakhri, 2011. "Dutch Disease and Azerbaijan Economy," EERC Working Paper Series 11/03e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Bogdan Lissovolik, 2003. "Determinants of Inflation in a Transition Economy," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 03/126, International Monetary Fund.
- Balázs Égert, 2009.
"Dutch Disease in Former Soviet Union: Witch-Hunting,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research
0380, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Égert, Balázs, 2009. "Dutch disease in former Soviet Union: Witch-hunting?," BOFIT Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition 4/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- MaruÃ…Â¡ka Vizek & Tanja Broz, 2009.
"Modeling Inflation in Croatia,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc.,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(6), pages 87-98, November.
- Maruška Vizek & Tanja Broz, 2007. "Modelling Inflation in Croatia," Working Papers, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb 0703, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon, 2001. "Determinants of Inflation in Poland: A Structural Cointegration Approach," BOFIT Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition 16/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Louis Kuijs, 2002. "Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanisms and Inflation in Slovakia," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 02/80, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.