Analyse Multidimensionnelle de la pauvreté au Bénin: une approche par les sous-ensembles flous
[Multidimensional Analysis of Poverty in Benin: A Fuzzy Subsets Approach]
AbstractPoverty is a complex concept which multidimensional aspect is not often taken into account in the analysis and the apprehension of the phenomenon in Benin. The Integrated Modular Survey on household Living Conditions (2006) give us the opportunity to apprehend the phenomenon as a whole by a new approach based on fuzzy subsets to shed light on new knowledge of poverty in Benin. The results show that the multidimensional poverty index for Benin is 53.90% with differences at the level of the department, the place of residence, the gender of the household head and the eleven dimensions retained for the analysis (health, education, etc). In addition, the characterization of the households relative to the degree of poverty shows differentiated profiles. This implies that strategies to reduce poverty cannot lean on a single instrument or focus on one field, but must resort to use a set of measures affecting its various dimensions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 27005.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision: Aug 2009
Multidimensional poverty; fuzzy subsets; dimensions; membership functions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stéphane Mussard & Pi Alperin María Noel, 2005. "Multidimensional Decomposition Of Poverty: A Fuzzy Set Approach," Cahiers de recherche 05-08, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Stéphane Mussard & Pi Alperin María Noel, 2005. "Theorie Des Ensembles Flous Et Decomposition Multidimensionnelle De La Pauvreté : Le Cas Du Senegal," Cahiers de recherche 05-05, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Yaya Koloma, 2008. "Contribution à l'analyse de la pauvreté non-monétaire micro-multidimensionnelle au Mali," Documents de travail 142, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- François Bourguignon & Satya Chakravarty, 2003.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 25-49, April.
- Bibi, Sami, 2005. "Measuring Poverty in a Multidimensional Perspective: a Review of Literature," Working Papers PMMA 2005-07, PEP-PMMA.
- Oumar Diop Diagne & Ousmane Faye & Salimata Faye, 2007. "Le noyau dur de la pauvreté au Sénégal," Working Papers PMMA 2007-17, PEP-PMMA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.