Monetary poverty, education exclusion and material deprivation amongst youth in Spain
AbstractThis piece of work analyses the profile of poverty amongst youth in Spain from a multidimensional perspective. This approach entails the estimation of poverty risks, material deprivation indicators and an education exclusion indicator. Material deprivation indicators refer to deficiencies in dwelling’s conditions, to arrears with payments and non-affordability of basic goods. The analysis is developed on a sample of young adults from the Spanish section of EU-SILC (European Union Survey on Living Conditions). The methodology consists on a set discrete dependent variable models and count data models. The risk of poverty, material deprivation and education exclusion are strongly influenced by household composition, education attainment and labour market status as well as disability and nationality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad de Alcalá, Departamento de Economía. in its series Alcamentos with number 0903.
Length: pages 44
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2009-07-11 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2009-07-11 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olga Cantó-Sánchez & Magda Mercader-Prats, . "Poverty among children and youth in Spain: The role of parents and youth employment status," Studies on the Spanish Economy 46, FEDEA.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2008-04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Quintini, Glenda & Martin, John P. & Martin, Sébastien, 2007. "The Changing Nature of the School-to-Work Transition Process in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 2582, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Muffels, Ruud & Fouarge, Didier, 2003.
"The Role of European Welfare States in Explaining Resources Deprivation,"
13299, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruud Muffels & Didier Fouarge, 2004. "The Role of European Welfare States in Explaining Resources Deprivation," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 68(3), pages 299-330, September.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Lavinia Parisi, 2008.
"Leaving Home and the Chances of Being Poor: The Case of Young People in Southern European Countries,"
CEIS, vol. 22(s1), pages 89-114, 06.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2005-24 is not listed on IDEAS
- Desai, Meghnad & Shah, Anup, 1988. "An Econometric Approach to the Measurement of Poverty," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(3), pages 505-22, September.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2000-42 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bibi, Sami, 2005. "Measuring Poverty in a Multidimensional Perspective: a Review of Literature," Working Papers PMMA 2005-07, PEP-PMMA.
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-17253 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 2004.
"On the Arbitrariness and Robustness of Multi-Dimensional Poverty Rankings,"
Journal of Human Development and Capabilities,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 355-375.
- Qizilbash, Mozaffar, 2004. "On the Arbitrariness and Robustness of Multi-Dimensional Poverty Rankings," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- repec:ese:iserwp:2005-23 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jesus Perez-Mayo, 2005. "Identifying deprivation profiles in Spain: a new approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 943-955.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Luis Ayala (*) & Carolina Navarro, . "Multidimensional Indices Of Housing Deprivation With Application To Spain," Working Papers 12-04 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Juan Muro).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.