Multidimensional Indices Of Housing Deprivation With Application To Spain
Abstract. The main aim of this paper is to define a multidimensional index of housing deprivation and identify the main determining characteristics of this phenomenon, using Spain as a point of reference. The paper grounds on the notion of housing deprivation as an insufficiency in the basic functioning of this commodity and uses a latent variable model that attempts to overcome some of the traditional difficulties encountered in multidimensional deprivation studies. The construction of a latent structure model has allowed a set of partial housing deprivation indices to be grouped together under a single index. It has also enabled each individual to be assigned to a different class depending on the level and type of deprivation. The results show that the vector of observed variables (having hot running water, heating, a leaky roof, damp walls or floor, rot in window frames or floors, and overcrowding) and the correlations among such variables can be explained by a single latent variable. Results also show that housing deprivation is not distributed homogenously among the population..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Estudios Fiscales in its series Working Papers with number 12-04 Classification-JEL : I31, I32..
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
housing; deprivation; poverty; latent class models.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José María Arranz & Carlos García-Serrano, . "¿Qué Ha Sucedido Con La Estabilidad Del Empleo En España?. Un Análisis Desagregado Con Datos De La Epa: 1987-2003(*)," Working Papers 4-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Miguel Ángel López García, .
"La Vivienda Y La Reforma Fiscal De 1998: Un Ejercicio De Simulación(*),"
7-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Miguel-Angel López García, 2005. "La vivienda y la reforma fiscal de 1998: un ejercicio de simulación," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 175(4), pages 123-147, december.
- Callan, Tim & Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 1993. "Resources deprivation and the measurement of poverty," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/1061, University College Dublin.
- Desai, Meghnad & Shah, Anup, 1988. "An Econometric Approach to the Measurement of Poverty," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(3), pages 505-22, September.
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2006.
"The Measurement Of Social Exclusion,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(3), pages 377-398, 09.
- Indranil Dutta & Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu, 2003. "On Measuring Deprivation and the Standard of Living in a Multidimensional Framework on the Basis of Aggregate Data," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(278), pages 197-221, 05.
- Böhnke, Petra & Delhey, Jan, 1999. "Poverty in a multidimensional perspective: Great Britain and Germany in comparison," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Social Structure and Social Reporting FS III 99-413, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Raquel Arévalo-Tomé, 1999. "Construcción de un índice de calidad de la vivienda," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 23(2), pages 267-280, May.
- Cecilia Albert Verdú & María A. Davia Rodríguez, 2009. "Monetary poverty, education exclusion and material deprivation amongst youth in Spain," Alcamentos 0903, Universidad de Alcalá, Departamento de Estadística, Estructura y O.E.I..
- Roderick Rose & Susan Parish & Joan Yoo, 2009. "Measuring Material Hardship among the US Population of Women with Disabilities Using Latent Class Analysis," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 94(3), pages 391-415, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.