On Measuring Deprivation and the Standard of Living in a Multidimensional Framework on the Basis of Aggregate Data
AbstractIn measuring social deprivation in a multidimensional framework, ideally one should first measure each individual's overall deprivation, and then aggregate the overall deprivation levels of all individuals. However, given only aggregate data, one is often forced to measure social deprivation in terms of each attribute separately and then to aggregate them so as to get the overall social deprivation. This paper shows that it is only under extremely stringent conditions that this procedure would always yield the same result as the conceptually sound procedure referred to earlier. A similar difficulty also arises in measuring a society's standard of living. Copyright The London School of Economics and Political Science 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 70 (2003)
Issue (Month): 278 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2009.
"Measuring inequality of well-being with a correlation-sensitive multidimensional Gini index,"
124, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Maria Ana Lugo & Koen Decancq, 2009. "Measuring Inequality of Well-Being with a Correlation-Sensitive Multidimensional Gini Index," Economics Series Working Papers 459, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 2004.
"On the Arbitrariness and Robustness of Multi-Dimensional Poverty Rankings,"
Journal of Human Development and Capabilities,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 355-375.
- Qizilbash, Mozaffar, 2004. "On the Arbitrariness and Robustness of Multi-Dimensional Poverty Rankings," Working Papers UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Rebeca Echávarri & Iñaki Permanyer, 2008. "Ranking profiles of capability sets," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 521-535, October.
- Luis Ayala (*) & Carolina Navarro, . "Multidimensional Indices Of Housing Deprivation With Application To Spain," Working Papers 12-04 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Chattopadhyay, Amit K. & Mallick, Sushanta K., 2007.
"Income distribution dependence of poverty measure: A theoretical analysis,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 377(1), pages 241-252.
- Amit K Chattopadhyay & Sushanta K Mallick, 2005. "Income Distribution Dependence of Poverty Measure: A Theoretical Analysis," Papers physics/0507035, arXiv.org.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & SCHOKKAERT, Erik, 2011. "Equity in health and health care," CORE Discussion Papers 2011026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Erik Schokkaert, 2007.
"The capabilities approach,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0734, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Schokkaert, Erik, 2007. "The capabilities approach," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/175505, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Subramanian S & D. Jayaraj, 2010. "Out of School and (Probably) in Work: Child Labour and Capability Deprivation in India," Working Papers id:3261, eSocialSciences.
- Ankita Mishra & Ranjan Ray, 2010. "Multi Dimensional Deprivation in India during and after the Reforms: Do the Household Expenditure and the Family Health Surveys Present Consistent Evidence?," Monash Economics Working Papers 36-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & Jesús Pérez‐Mayo, 2011.
"Income Poverty And Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons From Cross‐Regional Analysis,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(1), pages 40-60, 03.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & JesÃºs PÃ©rez-Mayo, 2009. "Income Poverty and Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons from Cross-Regional Analysis," Working Papers 106, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jayaraj, D. & Subramanian, S., 2005. "Out of School and (Probably) in Work: Child Labour and Capability Deprivation in India," Working Papers RP2005/55, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Izete Pengo Bagolin & Rodrigo Peres de Ávila, 2006. "Poverty Distribution Among The Brazilian States: A Multidimensional Analysis Using Capabilities And Needs Approaches," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 142, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Decancq, Koen, 2009.
"Copula-based measurement of dependence between dimensions of well-being,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/253173, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Koen DECANCQ, 2009. "Copula-based measurement of dependence between dimensions of well-being," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces09.24, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Decancq K, 2009. "Copula-based Measurement of Dependence Between Dimensions of Well-being," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 09/32, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2001. "Defining and Measuring (Extreme) Poverty," Cahiers de recherche 04-05, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke, revised 2004.
- MÂª Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia & Henar Diez, 2009. "The Bourguignon and Chakravarty multidimensional poverty family: A characterization," Working Papers 109, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Satya Chakravarty, 2007. "A deprivation-based axiomatic characterization of the absolute Bonferroni index of inequality," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 339-351, December.
- David A. Clark, 2005. "Core Poverty, Basic Capabilities and Vagueness: An Application to the South African Context," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-026, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.