Measures of Material Deprivation in OECD Countries
AbstractThe paper discusses the use of material deprivation measures for an analysis of poverty in OECD countries. Its main goal is to identify suitable survey questions that might be used in comparative analysis, as a first step towards the construction of more satisfactory poverty measures. The paper proposes a simple taxonomy of the broad notion of material deprivation into its objective and subjective dimensions and into its main components, and present data on the share of households reporting different types of material deprivation. It also proposes a simple summary measure of material deprivation, defined as the average of indicators across different items.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers with number 37.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-08-12 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2012-05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brian Nolan & Christopher T. Whelan, 2010. "Using non-monetary deprivation indicators to analyze poverty and social exclusion: Lessons from Europe?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(2), pages 305-325.
- Riccardo Soliani & Alessia Di Gennaro & Enrico Ivaldi, 2012. "An Index of the Quality of Life for European Countries: Evidence of Deprivation from EU-SILC Data," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 2, pages 1-14, May.
- Christopher T. Whelan & Bertrand Maitre, 2012.
"Identifying Childhood Deprivation: How Well Do National Indicators of Poverty and Social Exclusion in Ireland Perform?,"
The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 43(2), pages 251â272.
- Christopher T. Whelan & Bertrand Maitre, 2011. "Identifying Childhood Deprivation: How Well do National Indicators of Poverty and Social Exclusion in Ireland Perform?," Working Papers, Geary Institute, University College Dublin 201121, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Angela Testi & Enrico Ivaldi, 2011. "Measuring Progress in Health through Deprivation Indexes," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 49-57, April.
- Polin, Veronica & Raitano, Michele, 2009.
"Dimensione e dinamica della povertà nell’Unione Europea dopo l’allargamento: un’analisi comparata delle determinanti dei movimenti delle famiglie
[Poverty and inequality dynamics in the enla," MPRA Paper 25567, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvert, E. (Emma) & Brian Nolan, 2012. "GINI DP 68: Material Deprivation in Europe," GINI Discussion Papers, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies 68, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Ive Marx & Brian Nolan & Javier Olivera, 2014.
"The Welfare State and Anti-Poverty Policy in Rich Countries,"
Working Papers, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, University of Antwerp
1403, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, University of Antwerp.
- Marx, Ive & Nolan, Brian & Olivera, Javier, 2014. "The Welfare State and Anti-Poverty Policy in Rich Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 8154, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Orsetta Causa & Catherine Chapuis, 2009. "Equity in Student Achievement Across OECD Countries: An Investigation of the Role of Policies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 708, OECD Publishing.
- Mike Brewer & Cormac O'Dea, 2012. "Measuring living standards with income and consumption: evidence from the UK," IFS Working Papers, Institute for Fiscal Studies W12/12, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Angela Testi & Enrico Ivaldi, 2009. "Material versus social deprivation and health: a case study of an urban area," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 323-328, July.
- Bertrand Maître & Brian Nolan & Christopher T. Whelan, 2012. "Reassessing the EU 2020 Poverty Target an Analysis of EU-SILC 2009," Working Papers, Geary Institute, University College Dublin 201213, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Guio, Anne-Catherine & Fusco, Alessio & Marlier, Eric, 2009. "A European Union Approach to Material Deprivation using EU-SILC and Eurobarometer data," IRISS Working Paper Series, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD 2009-19, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.