Measuring Poverty in a Multidimensional Perspective: a Review of Literature
AbstractRecent pioneer papers of Sen (1981, 1985, 1992) have emphasized that poverty is a multidimensional issue. Hence, it should be seen in relation to the lack of important "basic needs" or "basic capabilities". This recommendation has motivated many researchers to focus on the way multidimensional aspect of poverty should be measured and aggregated. This survey synthesizes the contribution of the main approaches to measuring poverty in its various dimensions to better understand the theoretical framework and the limitations of each. This should help one choose which approach to adopt based on the circumstances and the constraints of the study to be conducted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by PEP-PMMA in its series Working Papers PMMA with number 2005-07.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Seve, Québec, Québec, G1V 0A6
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
Multidimensional Poverty Measures; Robustness Analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-01 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-64, July.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Blakorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1980. "Ethical Indices for the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 1053-60, May.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Cecilia Albert Verdú & María A. Davia Rodríguez, 2009. "Monetary poverty, education exclusion and material deprivation amongst youth in Spain," Alcamentos 0903, Universidad de Alcalá, Departamento de Estadística, Estructura y O.E.I..
- Gil Izquierdo, María & Ortiz Serrano, Salvador, 2009. "Determinantes de la pobreza extrema en España desde una doble perspectiva: Monetaria y de privación /Severe poverty determinants in Spain using both a monetary and a deprivation approach," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 437-462, Agosto.
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Pietro Muliere, 2004. "Welfare indicators: a review and new perspectives. 2. Measurement of poverty," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(2), pages 247-281.
- Paul Ningaye & Hilaire Nkengfack & Marie Antoinette Simonet & Laurentine Yemata, 2007. "Diversité ethno-culturelle et différentiel de pauvreté multidimensionnelle au Cameroun," Working Papers PMMA 2007-03, PEP-PMMA.
- Jane Kabubo-Mariara & Anthony Wambugu & Susan Musau, 2011. "Multidimensional Poverty in Kenya: Analysis of Maternal and Child Wellbeing," Working Papers PMMA 2011-12, PEP-PMMA.
- Jean Bosco Ki & Salimata Faye & Bocar Faye, 2005. "Multidimensional Poverty in Senegal: a Non-monetary Basic Needs Approach," Working Papers PMMA 2005-05, PEP-PMMA.
- Paul Ningaye, 2011. "Ethno-cultural diversity and multidimensional poverty differential in Cameroon," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(2), pages 123-140, July.
- Andrea Brandolini, 2008. "On applying synthetic indices of multidimensional well-being: health and income inequalities in selected EU countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 668, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Hounkpodote, Hilaire, 2009.
"Analyse Multidimensionnelle de la pauvreté au Bénin: une approche par les sous-ensembles flous
[Multidimensional Analysis of Poverty in Benin: A Fuzzy Subsets Approach]," MPRA Paper 27005, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2009.
- James R. Hull & Gilvan Guedes, 2011. "Rebuilding Babel: finding common development solutions using cross-contextual comparisons of multidimensional well-being," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td452, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Juan Díaz & Miguel Jaramillo, 2006. "An Evaluation of the Peruvian "Youth Labor Training Program"-PROJOVEN," OVE Working Papers 1006, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.