Dynamique de la pauvreté non monétaire au Cameroun entre 2001 et 2007: analyse en correspondances multiples et tests de dominance stochastique
[Dynamic of non monetary poverty in Cameroon between 2001 and 2007: multiple component analysis and stochastic dominance tests]
AbstractThe aim of the present study is to investigate on non monetary poverty in Cameroon, focusing on the dynamic of poverty profiles in urban and rural areas, and all over the whole country between 2001 and 2007.Poverty persistence explains the interest and the stakes of the current study. By using data coming from the last two Cameroonians surveys on households standards livings conducted respectively in 2001 (ECAM II) and in 2007 (ECAM III), our objective is to put on evidence the transition or dynamics in poverty, without establishing a poverty line. Having choosen this scope for investigation, we built up a composite index of poverty, from a set a set of non monetary household’s living conditions indicators, by using the multiple component analysis. And throught out stochastic dominance tests we compare urban poverty profile, rural poverty profile and then the one of the whole country. All these statements are made for the period between 2001 and 2007. The results show that non monetary poverty has decrease between 2001 and 2007 in urban areas and in the whole country only in middle households classes in Cameroon. For the poor and the rich, non monetary poverty has increased in urban area. It is the same situation as far as the whole country is concerned. We also see that rural non monetary poverty increased over this period of time. Then, we can say that non monetary poverty seem to be a rural phenomenon like the monetary poverty. The policy recommendations are declined thus improving accessibility to basic infrastructures, to potable water, to electricity and quality of housing in rural areas, and greater jobs creation in urban areas, where inequalities are most noticeable and increasing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32701.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Pauvreté non monétaire; inégalités; dynamique de la pauvreté; pauvreté transitoire; pauvreté chronique; dominance stochastique; analyse factorielle; ACM; COPA; Cameroun;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravallion, M. & Datt, G., 1991. "Growth and Redistribution Components of Changes in Poverty Measures," Papers 83, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2005. "Selecting Capabilities for Quality of Life Measurement," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 74(1), pages 191-215, October.
- Stéphane Mussard & Pi Alperin María Noel, 2005. "Theorie Des Ensembles Flous Et Decomposition Multidimensionnelle De La Pauvreté : Le Cas Du Senegal," Cahiers de recherche 05-05, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Costa, Michele, 2002. "A multidimensional approach to the measurement of poverty," IRISS Working Paper Series 2002-05, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Nickelsburg, Gerald, 1988. "Multivariate Measures of Well-Being and an Analysis of Inequality in the Michigan Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 326-34, July.
- Stéphane Mussard & Pi Alperin María Noel, 2005. "Multidimensional Decomposition Of Poverty: A Fuzzy Set Approach," Cahiers de recherche 05-08, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1999. "Le différentiel spatial de pauvreté au Burkina Faso : " capabilities " versus dépenses," Documents de travail 36, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 2000. "Dépenses des ménages, développement humain et pauvreté au Burkina Faso : substitution ou complémentarité ?," Documents de travail 49, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1986. "The Measurement and Decomposition of Multi-dimensional Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 991-97, July.
- Costa, Michele, 2003. "A comparison between unidimensional and multidimensional approaches to the measurement of poverty," IRISS Working Paper Series 2003-02, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.