The Effect of Higher Education on Gender Wage-Gap
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the effect of an academic degree on gender wage gap in Greece and the United Kingdom. Using Labour Force Survey (LFS) micro-data, first, we compare the returns to higher education for males and females, second, we decompose the gender wage gap between graduates and individuals with secondary education, and finally we analyse the effect of higher education on the (un)explained part of the wage gap. For that purpose, an extension of the Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition technique is used. We find that the unexplained part, which is often related to discrimination is lower for graduates in both countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25487.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Discrimination; graduates; gender;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A20 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - General
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2010-10-09 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2010-10-09 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banerjee, Dyuti S. & Gaston, Noel, 2004. "Labour market signalling and job turnover revisited," Labour Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 599-622, October.
- Arrow, Kenneth J., 1973. "Higher education as a filter," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 193-216, July.
- Arnaud Chevalier, 2007.
"Education, Occupation and Career Expectations: Determinants of the Gender Pay Gap for UK Graduates,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(6), pages 819-842, December.
- Arnaud Chevalier, 2006. "Education, Occupation and Career Expectations: Determinants of the Gender Pay Gap for UK Graduates," CEE Discussion Papers, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE 0069, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Patrick Bolton & Mathias Dewatripont, 2005.
MIT Press Books, The MIT Press,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262025760, December.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Bolton, 2005. "Contract theory," ULB Institutional Repository, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 2013/9543, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Black, Dan A. & Smith, J.A.Jeffrey A., 2004.
"How robust is the evidence on the effects of college quality? Evidence from matching,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 99-124.
- Dan A. Black & Jeffrey Smith, 2003. "How Robust is the Evidence on the Effects of College Quality? Evidence From Matching," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity 20033, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- McGuinness, Seamus & Bennett, Jessica, 2007. "Overeducation in the graduate labour market: A quantile regression approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 521-531, October.
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
- Nielsen, Helena Skyt, 1998. "Discrimination and detailed decomposition in a logit model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 115-120, October.
- Ilias Livanos & Çagri Yalkin & Imanol Nuñez, 2009. "Gender employment discrimination: Greece and the United Kingdom," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(8), pages 815-834, November.
- Ermisch, John F & Wright, Robert E, 1988.
"Gender Discrimination in the British Labour Market: A Reassessment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
278, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wright, Robert E & Ermisch, John F, 1991. "Gender Discrimination in the British Labour Market: A Reassessment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 508-22, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.