Tariff and Equilibrium Indeterminacy - A Global Analysis
AbstractZhang (2009) shows that endogenous tariffs and endogenous labor income taxes (Schmitt-Grohe and Uribe, 1997) are equivalent in generating local indeterminacy. Using the method developed by Stockman (2009), we extend Zhang's analysis to prove that they are also equivalent in generating global indeterminacy (chaotic equilibria) under a balanced-budget rule. We show that the existence of Euler equation branching in an arbitrarily small neighborhood of a steady state can imply topological chaos in the sense of Devaney. In addition, the Euler equation branching occurs regardless of the local uniqueness of the equilibrium around the steady state(s).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18296.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Endogenous Tariff Rate; Regime Switching; Chaos.;
Other versions of this item:
- Zhang, Yan & Chen, Yan, 2012. "Tariff And Equilibrium Indeterminacy: A Global Analysis," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(S3), pages 394-410, November.
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2009-11-07 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2009-11-07 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2006.
"Understanding the large negative impact of oil shocks,"
2005-042, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2007. "Understanding the Large Negative Impact of Oil Shocks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 925-944, 06.
- Laura Gardini & Cars Hommes & Fabio Tramontana & Robin de Vilder, 2008.
"Forward and Backward Dynamics in Implicitly Defined Overlapping Generations Models,"
0806, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2008.
- Gardini, Laura & Hommes, Cars & Tramontana, Fabio & de Vilder, Robin, 2009. "Forward and backward dynamics in implicitly defined overlapping generations models," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 110-129, August.
- Gardini, L. & Hommes, C.H. & Tramontana, F. & de Vilder, R., 2009. "Forward and Backward Dynamics in implicitly defined Overlapping Generations Models," CeNDEF Working Papers 09-02, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 1997.
"Balanced-Budget Rules, Distortionary Taxes, and Aggregate Instability,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 976-1000, October.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 1995. "Balanced-budget rules, distortionary taxes, and aggregate instability," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Julio I. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1994.
"Energy Taxes and Aggregate Economic Activity,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 8, pages 159-195
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michener, Ronald & Ravikumar, B., 1998. "Chaotic dynamics in a cash-in-advance economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1117-1137, May.
- Stockman, David R., 2010. "Balanced-budget rules: Chaos and deterministic sunspots," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 1060-1085, May.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2004.
"Foreign Trade and Equilibrium Indeterminacy,"
NIPE Working Papers
5/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luis & Wen, Yi, 2004. "Foreign Trade and Equilibrium Indeterminacy," Working Papers 04-09, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Luis Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2005. "Foreign trade and equilibrium indeterminacy," Working Papers 2005-041, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2007.
"A note on oil dependence and economic instability,"
2006-060, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.