The role of intra-firm trade
AbstractThe paper analyses "intra-firm" trade in manufacturing, that is, the estimated one-third of world trade in manufactures which is transacted between affiliated parties. As firms realize the increasing potential for integrating their operations throughout the world, they are contributing to significant shifts in the patterns of international trade and industrial development. As can be seen from the material presented here, a substantial and growing part of international trade is internalized through the MNEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18039.
Date of creation: Sep 1987
Date of revision:
Multinational Enterprise; trade structure; intra-firm trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. W. Copithorne, 1971. "International Corporate Transfer Prices and Government Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 4(3), pages 324-41, August.
- Broll, Udo & Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1985. "Developing Countries in Light of Intra-Trade," MPRA Paper 18046, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panagariya, Arvind, 1980. "Variable returns to scale in general equilibrium theory once again," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 499-526, November.
- James R. Markusen & James R. Melvin, 1981. "Trade, Factor Prices, and the Gains from Trade with Increasing Returns to Scale," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 14(3), pages 450-69, August.
- Panagariya, Arvind, 1981. "Variable Returns to Scale in Production and Patterns of Specialization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 71(1), pages 221-30, March.
- Dollar, David, 1986.
"Technological Innovations, Capital Mobility, and the Product Cycle inNorth-South Trade,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 177-90, March.
- Dollar, David, 1983. "Technological Innovation, Capital Mobility, and the Product Cycle in North-South Trade," Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University 83-31, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1978. "The Pattern of Intra-Firm Exports by U.S. Multinationals," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(3), pages 209-22, August.
- Broll, Udo & Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1986. "Indian Industrialisation, Multinational Enterprises and Gains from Trade," MPRA Paper 18057, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Knies, Dietmar & Gilroy, B. Michael, 1987. "Bilateral versus multilateral trade agreements: The effects of negotiating costs on international trade agreements," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP), Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche FakultÃ¤t dp-101, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Masten, Scott E, 1984. "The Organization of Production: Evidence from the Aerospace Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 403-17, October.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1973. "Transfer-Pricing by Multinational Manufacturing Firms," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 35(3), pages 173-95, August.
- Markusen, James R., 1984. "Multinationals, multi-plant economies, and the gains from trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 205-226, May.
- Hart, Oliver D, 1985. "Monopolistic Competition in the Spirit of Chamberlin: Special Results," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380), pages 889-908, December.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Panagariya, Arvind, 1979. "Gains from trade under variable returns to scale, commodity taxation, tariffs and factor market distortions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 481-501, November.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael & Broll, Udo, 1987. "West Germany - Expanding Where The Markets Are," MPRA Paper 18156, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "Decreasing Costs in International Trade and Frank Graham's Argument for Protection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1243-68, September.
- Alan Rugman, 1980. "Internalization as a general theory of foreign direct investment: A re-appraisal of the literature," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 365-379, June.
- A L Calvet, 1981. "A Synthesis of Foreign Direct Investment Theories and Theories of the Multinational Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(1), pages 43-59, March.
- G. D. A. MacDougall, 1960. "THE BENEFITS and COSTS OF PRIVATE INVESTMENT FROM ABROAD: A THEORETICAL APPROACH," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 13-35, 03.
- Steigum, Erling Jr., 1984. "Intersectoral transfer of labour in a small open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 225-237, March.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "International trade in the presence of product differentiation, economies of scale and monopolistic competition : A Chamberlin-Heckscher-Ohlin approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-340, August.
- Herberg, Horst & Kemp, Murray C. & Tawada, Makota, 1982. "Further implications of variable returns to scale," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 65-84, August.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- Broll, Udo F. & Gilroy, Bernhard Michael, 1986. "Auslandsproduktion und Wechselkursrisiko: Eine einfache theoretische Analyse," Discussion Papers, Series I 215, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Broll, Udo & Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1986. "Comparative Advantage and Trade Patterns," MPRA Paper 18155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark Casson, 1987. "The Firm and the Market: Studies on the Multinational Enterprise and the Scope of the Firm," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031299, December.
- Hamilton, Carl & Svensson, Lars E O, 1984. " Do Countries' Factor Endowments Correspond to the Factor Contents in Their Bilateral Trade Flows?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(1), pages 84-97.
- Marschak, Thomas A., 2005. "Organization design," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 2, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1359-1440 Elsevier.
- Hirsch, Seev, 1976. "An International Trade and Investment Theory of the Firm," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 258-70, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.