The Firm and the Market: Studies on the Multinational Enterprise and the Scope of the Firm
AbstractIn this book, a well known theorist of the multinational firm extends his major contributions to encompass the scope of the firm in general. Casson presents a model showing how the different activities of the firm - R & D, production, marketing, and distribution, for example - are linked in a way that is just as important in determining the scope of the firm as are the traditional factors of market share or product type. Casson infers from an extensive consideration of the history, development, and organization of the multinational that the scope of any firm is determined by the way it resolves the problem of coordinating these production activities; the possibility of its becoming a multinational, in fact, depends on the strategic problems encountered in these operations. After chapters in which he critically reviews the literature and sets forth his own theoretical insights, the author looks at case studies of topical concern in the shipping, construction, and motor vehicle industries in order to explain contemporary rationalization and restructuring in manufacturing.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The MIT Press in its series MIT Press Books with number 0262031299 and published in 1987.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu
multinational enterprise; firm; market; shipping; manufacturing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Shin-Horng, 1997. "Decision-making in research and development collaboration," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 121-135, March.
- René Belderbos, 1992.
"Large multinational enterprises based in a small economy: Effects on domestic investment,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 543-557, September.
- Belderbos, R.A., 1992. "Large Multnational Enterprises Based in a Small Economy: Effects on Domestic Investment," Papers 9115-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Al-Saadon, Yousef & Das, Satya P., 1996. "Host-country policy, transfer pricing and ownership distribution in international joint ventures: A theoretical analysis," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 345-364, May.
- Ramstetter, Eric D. & Ngoc, Phan Minh, 2013. "Productivity, ownership, and producer concentration in transition: Further evidence from Vietnamese manufacturing," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 28-42.
- Mudambi, Ram, 1999. "MNE internal capital markets and subsidiary strategic independence," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 197-211, April.
- Stijn Claessens & Neeltje van Horen, 2008.
"Location Decisions of Foreign Banks and Institutional Competitive Advantage,"
DNB Working Papers
172, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Claessens, Stijn & Van Horen, Neeltje, 2007. "Location decisions of foreign banks and competitive advantage," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4113, The World Bank.
- Messaoud Mehafdi, 2000. "The Ethics of International Transfer Pricing," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 365-381, December.
- John P. Weche Geluebcke, 2011.
"The Performance of Foreign Affiliates in German Manufacturing: Evidence from a new Database,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
216, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- John Weche Gelübcke, 2013. "The performance of foreign affiliates in German manufacturing: evidence from a new database," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 151-182, March.
- Bohm Park & Keun Lee, 2001. "Comparative Analysis of Foreign Direct Investment in China : The Korean, the Hong Kong, and the United States Firms in the Shandong Province," Working Paper Series no40, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- Ramstetter, Eric D., 2004. "Labor productivity, wages, nationality, and foreign ownership shares in Thai manufacturing, 1996-2000," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 861-884, January.
- Byun, Hyung-Yoon & Wang, Yunjong, 1995. "Technology transfer and multinational corporations: The case of South Korea," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 201-216.
- Lessard, Donald R. & Amsden, Alice H., 1996. "The multinational enterprise as a learning organization," Working papers WP 3905-96., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Kasuga, Hidefumi, 1999. "International business alliances: an incomplete contract approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 497-515, December.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1987. "The role of intra-firm trade," MPRA Paper 18039, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Furbush).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.