Financial systems and banking crises: An assessment
AbstractTraditionally an old concern among economists has referred to the effects that specific financial systems may have on economic performance. Here we investigate the “stylised facts” among financial systems and banking crises by using individual and principal-components indicators and sets of OLS regressions. The study relies on a set of banking fragility, financial structure and development indicators for a sample of 47 economies between 1990 and 1997. The stylised facts suggest that financial development is associated to financial systems leaded by stock and securities markets. Furthermore the evidence suggests that such association is magnified during episodes of borderline or systemic banking crises. Thus what our findings might suggest is that banking crises may encourage financial development and the transformation of financial systems into market-based ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 168.
Date of creation: 05 Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Revista Mexicana de Economía y Finanzas (Mexican Journal of Economics and Finance) Issue 1.v.5(2006): pp. 13-27
Financial systems; banking crises; financial structure; financial development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2006-12-04 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2006-12-04 (Corporate Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2000. "Financial structure and bank profitability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2430, The World Bank.
- Antonio Ruiz-Porras, 2008.
"Banking Competition and Financial Fragility: Evidence from Panel-Data,"
El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 23(1), pages 49-87.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2007. "Banking competition and financial fragility: Evidence from panel-data," MPRA Paper 5673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2008. "Financial structure, financial development and banking fragility: International evidence," MPRA Paper 12124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.