Banking Competition and Financial Fragility: Evidence from Panel-Data
AbstractWe study how competition may affect the stability of banking systems. We modify the failure-determinant methodology to include panel-data techniques. We use indicators for 47 countries between 1990 and 1997. The main findings show that banking concentration and foreign ownership are associated to bank-based financial systems and financial underdevelopment. They also show that banking credit and bank-based financial systems enhance banking fragility. Banking concentration is not a significant determinant. Furthermore our findings suggest that financial structure and, maybe, the property regime matter to assess such fragility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos in its journal Estudios Económicos.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
banks; competition; fragility; financial systems.;
Other versions of this item:
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2007. "Banking competition and financial fragility: Evidence from panel-data," MPRA Paper 5673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 2002. "Market power and banking failures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1341-1361, November.
- Norman Loayza & Romain Ranciere, 2005.
"Financial Development, Financial Fragility, and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
05/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Loayza, Norman V. & Ranciere, Romain, 2006. "Financial Development, Financial Fragility, and Growth," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 1051-1076, June.
- Romain Ranciere & Norman Loayza, 2004. "Financial Development, Financial Fragility and Growth," Working Papers 192, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Norman Loayza & Romain Rancière, 2004. "Financial development, financial fragility and growth," Economics Working Papers 855, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Loayza, Norman & Ranciere, Romain, 2004. "Financial development, financial fragility, and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3431, The World Bank.
- Norman Loayza & Romain Ranciere, 2002. "Financial Development, Financial Fragility, and Growth," CESifo Working Paper Series 684, CESifo Group Munich.
- Norman Loayza & Romain Ranciere, 2002. "Financial Development, Financial Fragility, and Growth," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 145, Central Bank of Chile.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005.
"Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey,"
National Institute Economic Review,
National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 192(1), pages 68-83, April.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2005. "Cross-country empirical studies of systemic bank distress : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3719, The World Bank.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey," IMF Working Papers 05/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2000. "Financial structure and bank profitability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2430, The World Bank.
- Daniel C. Hardy & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1999. "Determinants and Leading Indicators of Banking Crises: Further Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 1.
- Rolnick, Arthur J & Weber, Warren E, 1983. "New Evidence on the Free Banking Era," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1080-91, December.
- Kaniska Dam & Susana Wendy Zendejas Castillo, 2006. "Market power and risk taking behavior of banks," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 21(1), pages 55-84.
- Dowd, Kevin, 1996. "The Case for Financial Laissez-Faire," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 679-87, May.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2006. "Financial systems and banking crises: An assessment," MPRA Paper 168, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2008. "Financial structure, financial development and banking fragility: International evidence," MPRA Paper 12124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2012.
"La investigación econométrica mediante paneles de datos: Historia, modelos y usos en México
[Econometric research with panel data: History, models and uses in Mexico]," MPRA Paper 42909, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lucas Bretschger & Vivien Kappel, 2010.
"Market concentration and the likelihood of financial crises,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
10/138, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Bretschger, Lucas & Kappel, Vivien & Werner, Therese, 2012. "Market concentration and the likelihood of financial crises," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3336-3345.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Contreras).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.