R&D spillovers, information technology and telecommunications, and productivity in Asia and the OECD
AbstractThis paper examines the role research and development (R&D) plays in technology progress for a sample of OECD and Asian economies from 1980 to 1995. An empirical model is estimated which relates total factor productivity to domestic and foreign R&D activity, trade, and information technology and telecommunications (ITT). Model estimates confirm a positive relationship between national productivity and R&D activity exists in the long run. Further, the benefits of R&D can spillover countries through trade, in particular, trade in ITT equipment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11159.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Information technology; R&D spillovers; trade; telecommunications; total factor productivity;
Other versions of this item:
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J., 2000. "R&D spillovers, information technology and telecommunications, and productivity in ASIA and the OECD," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 367-392, December.
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O50 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quah, D., 1993.
"Exploiting Cross Section Variation for Unit Root Inference in Dynamic Data,"
549, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Quah, Danny, 1994. "Exploiting cross-section variation for unit root inference in dynamic data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 9-19.
- Danny Quah, 1993. "Exploiting Cross Section Variation for Unit Root Inference in Dynamic Data," FMG Discussion Papers dp171, Financial Markets Group.
- anonymous, 1982. "Communications," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(12), pages 1471-1475, December.
- Summers, Robert & Heston, Alan, 1991. "The Penn World Table (Mark 5): An Expanded Set of International Comparisons, 1950-1988," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 327-68, May.
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage & Paul Bloxham, 2001.
"Asian and OECD international R&D spillovers,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(7), pages 431-435.
- Pablo T. Spiller & Carlo G. Cardilli, 1997. "The Frontier of Telecommunications Deregulation: Small Countries Leading the Pack," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 127-138, Fall.
- anonymous, 1982. "Communication," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(3), pages 337-337, March.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1993. "Innovations and Technological Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 4423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Lichtenberg & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 1996. "International R&D Spillovers: A Re-Examination," NBER Working Papers 5668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- anonymous, 1982. "Communication," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(11), pages 1350-1351, November.
- Wolff, Edward N, 1991. "Capital Formation and Productivity Convergence over the Long Term," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 565-79, June.
- Keesookpuna, Chutipong & Mitomob, Hitoshi, 2012. "A developmental framework for ICT and labour productivity in the developing country: A case study of Thailand," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60378, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Keesookpuna, Chutipong & Mitomob, Hitoshi, 2011. "Examining the relationship of communication service utilisation and productivity of labour in the developing country: A case study of Thailand," 8th Asia-Pacific Regional ITS Conference, Taipei 2011: Convergence in the Digital Age 52329, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Liqun Zhou & Liangke Xia, 2010. "How R&D investments influence TFP growth: Evidence from China’s large and medium-sized industrial enterprises," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 537-558, December.
- Francesco VENTURINI, 2008. "Information Technology, Research & Development, or Both? What Really Drives A Nation's Productivity," Working Papers 321, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Xiao Jia Guo, 2004. "Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Spillover: A Panel Analysis," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 722, Econometric Society.
- repec:hig:wpaper:wp-brp-11-sti-2013 is not listed on IDEAS
- Evgeniy Kutsenko & Dirk Meissner, 2013. "Key Features Of The First Phase Of The National Cluster Program In Russia," HSE Working papers WP BRP 11/STI/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.