Beam search heuristics for quadratic earliness and tardiness scheduling
AbstractIn this paper, we present beam search heuristics for the single machine scheduling problem with quadratic earliness and tardiness costs, and no machine idle time. These heuristics include classic beam search procedures, as well as filtered and recovering algorithms. We consider three dispatching heuristics as evaluation functions, in order to analyse the effect of different rules on the performance of the beam search procedures. The computational results show that using better dispatching heuristics improves the effectiveness of the beam search algorithms. The performance of the several heuristics is similar for instances with low variability. For high variability instances, however, the detailed, filtered and recovering beam search procedures clearly outperform the best existing heuristic. The detailed beam search algorithm performs quite well, and is recommended for small to medium size instances. For larger instances, however, this procedure requires excessive computation times, and the recovering beam search algorithm then becomes the heuristic of choice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 279.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
scheduling; heuristics; beam search; single machine; quadratic earliness; quadratic tardiness;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Esteve, B. & Aubijoux, C. & Chartier, A. & T'kindt, V., 2006. "A recovering beam search algorithm for the single machine Just-in-Time scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 172(3), pages 798-813, August.
- Hoogeveen, Han, 2005. "Multicriteria scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(3), pages 592-623, December.
- George Li, 1997. "Single machine earliness and tardiness scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 546-558, February.
- Schaller, Jeffrey, 2002. "Minimizing the sum of squares lateness on a single machine," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 64-79, November.
- Jorge M. S. Valente, 2007. "An exact approach for single machine scheduling with quadratic earliness and tardiness penalties," FEP Working Papers 238, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.