A Study of Housing Subsidies in the Philippines
AbstractThe government has estimated big amount of money for building new housing units and renovation/upgrading of old housing units for the 1993-1998. The rapid formation of new households has contributed to an acute demand for housing. Hence, the existence of demand-supply gap, mostly prominent in the lower end of the housing market. This engenders government intervention in the form of regulation, production and financing measures. This study reviews housing subsidy program. In particular, the study aims to measure the different types of subsidies provided in the housing sector, determine the incidence of benefits of the subsidies/identify who bears the burden of subsidies and recommend alternative options for providing subsidies to the most deserving beneficiaries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 1998-42.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
tariff; housing program; incidence of subsidies; housing subsidy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agrawal, Nisha, 1988. "The Economic Effects of Public Housing in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 64(187), pages 254-67, December.
- Albon, Robert & Findlay, Christopher & Piggott, John, 1984. "The Welfare Costs of Owner-Occupier Housing Subsidies: Inflation, Tax Treatment, and Interest Rate Regulation," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(43), pages 206-18, December.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Linneman, Peter, 1989. "Equity and efficiency aspects of rent control: An empirical study of New York City," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 54-74, July.
- Harvey S. Rosen, 1985.
"Housing Subsidies: Effects on Housing Decisions, Efficiency, and Equity,"
NBER Working Papers
1161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosen, Harvey S., 1985. "Housing subsidies: Effects on housing decisions, efficiency, and equity," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 375-420 Elsevier.
- Lamberte, Mario B. & Yap, Josef T., 1999. "Scenarios for Economic Recovery: The Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 1999-05, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Ballesteros, Marife Magno, 2001. "The Dynamics of Housing Demand in the Philippines: Income and Lifecycle Effects," Discussion Papers DP 2001-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- repec:phd:rpseri:rps_2002-01 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.