A Duality Procedure to Elicit Nonlinear Multiattribute Utility Functions
AbstractThe practical implementation of the Multiattribute Utility Theory is limited, partly for the lack of operative methods to elicit the parameters of the Multiattribute Utility Function, particularly when this function is not linear. As a consequence, most studies are restricted to linear specifications, which are easier to estimate and to interpret. We propose an indirect method to elicit the parameters of a nonlinear utility function to be compatible with the actual behaviour of decision makers, rather than with their answers to direct surveys. The idea rests on approaching the parameter estimation problem as a dual of the decision problem and making the observed decisions to be compatible with a rational decision making process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 06.02.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Multiple-Criteria Analysis; Multi-Attribute Utility Function; Simulation; Agriculture.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2006-03-11 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-UPT-2006-03-11 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berbel, J. & Gomez-Limon, J. A., 2000. "The impact of water-pricing policy in Spain: an analysis of three irrigated areas," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 219-238, March.
- Solano, C. & Leon, H. & Perez, E. & Herrero, M., 2001. "Characterising objective profiles of Costa Rican dairy farmers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 153-179, March.
- Qureshi, M. E. & Harrison, S. R. & Wegener, M. K., 1999. "Validation of multicriteria analysis models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 105-116, November.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- Joyce Willock & Ian J. Deary & Gareth Edwards-Jones & Gavin J. Gibson & Murray J. McGregor & Alistair Sutherland & J. Barry Dent & Oliver Morgan & Robert Grieve, 1999. "The Role of Attitudes and Objectives in Farmer Decision Making: Business and Environmentally-Oriented Behaviour in Scotland," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 286-303.
- Tiwari, D. N. & Loof, R. & Paudyal, G. N., 1999. "Environmental-economic decision-making in lowland irrigated agriculture using multi-criteria analysis techniques," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 99-112, May.
- Stam, Antonie & Duarte Silva, A. Pedro, 2003. "On multiplicative priority rating methods for the AHP," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 92-108, February.
- Sumpsi, JoseMaria & Amador, Francisco & Romero, Carlos, 1997. "On farmers' objectives: A multi-criteria approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 64-71, January.
- Smith, Donnie & Capstick, Daniel F., 1976. "Establishing Priorities Among Multiple Management Goals," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 8(02), December.
- Johri, Pravin K., 1994. "Derivation of duality in mathematical programming and optimization theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 547-554, March.
- Gerald W. Evans, 1984. "An Overview of Techniques for Solving Multiobjective Mathematical Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 30(11), pages 1268-1282, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.