The Risk-Neutral Measure and Option Pricing under Log-Stable Uncertainty
AbstractThe fact that the expected payoffs on assets and call options are infinite under most log-stable distributions led Paul Samuelson and Robert Merton to conjecture that assets and derivatives could not be reasonably priced under these distributions, despite their many other attractive features. This paper demonstrates that when the observed distribution of future prices is log-stable, the Risk Neutral Measure (RNM) under which asset and derivative prices may be computed as expectations is not itself log-stable in the problematic cases. Instead, the RNM is determined by the convolution of two densities, one negatively skewed stable, and the other an exponentially tilted positively skewed stable. The resulting RNM gives finite expected payoffs, and therefore demonstrates that these fears were in fact unfounded. Carr and Madan (1999) have shown how the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) can be used to quickly evaluate options directly from the characteristic function of any RNM. The log-stable RNM characteristic function presented here therefore greatly facilitates the pricing of options on log-stable assets, by means of this new methodology, provided a Romberg adaptation of the FFT is employed. The full paper is at .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ohio State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 03-07.
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 410 Arps Hall 1945 North High Street Columbus, Ohio 43210-1172
Other versions of this item:
- J. Huston McCulloch, 2004. "The Risk-Neutral Measure and Option Pricing under Log-Stable Uncertainty," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 428, Econometric Society.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alvaro Cartea & Sam Howison, 2002. "Distinguished Limits of Levy-Stable Processes, and Applications to Option Pricing," OFRC Working Papers Series 2002mf04, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Smith, Clifford Jr., 1976. "Option pricing : A review," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 3-51.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002.
"The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing,"
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003. "The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 753-778, 04.
- McCulloch, J. Huston, 1985. "Interest-risk sensitive deposit insurance premia : Stable ACH estimates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 137-156, March.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Matteo Bonato, 2012. "Modeling fat tails in stock returns: a multivariate stable-GARCH approach," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 499-521, September.
- Marco Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2006.
"Indirect estimation of alpha-stable stochastic volatility models,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2006_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2009. "Indirect estimation of [alpha]-stable stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2298-2308, April.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Veredas, David, 2009.
"Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2309-2324, April.
- LOMBARDI, Marco & VEREDAS, David, 2007. "Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions," CORE Discussion Papers 2007018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Slaughter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.