A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Ambiguity about Stochastic Volatility
AbstractWe derive a closed-form solution for the price of a European call option in the presence of ambiguity about the stochastic process that determines the variance of the underlying asset's return. The option pricing formula of Heston (1993) is a particular case of ours, corresponding to the case in which there is no ambiguity (uncertainty is exclusively risk). In the presence of ambiguity, the variance uncertainty price becomes either a convex or a concave function of the instantaneous variance, depending on whether the variance ambiguity price is negative or positive. We find that if the variance ambiguity price is positive, the option price is decreasing in the level of ambiguity (across all moneyness levels). The opposite happens if the variance ambiguity price is negative. Consistently, in the former (and more natural) scenario, ambiguity aversion decreases the option's implied volatility, which helps to explain the variance premium puzzle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 414.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Option Pricing; Stochastic Volatility; Ambiguity; Variance Premium Puzzle;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gonçalo Faria & João Correia-da-Silva, 2012.
"The price of risk and ambiguity in an intertemporal general equilibrium model of asset prices,"
Annals of Finance,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 507-531, November.
- Gonçalo Faria & João Correia-da-Silva, 2011. "The Price of Risk and Ambiguity in an Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices," FEP Working Papers 399, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.