Controlling Price Volatility Through Financial Innovation
AbstractIn this paper, the authors study the possibility of controlling asset price volatility through financial innovation in a three-period finite competitive exchange economy with incomplete financial markets and retrading.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science in its series Discussion Papers with number 1338.
Date of creation: Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, Northwestern University, 580 Jacobs Center, 2001 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208-2014
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Alessandro, CITANNA & SCHMEDDERS, Karl, 2002. "Controlling price volatility through financial innovation," Les Cahiers de Recherche 749, HEC Paris.
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-04-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Pareto improving financial innovation in incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 467-494.
- Smale, S., 1974. "Global analysis and economics III : Pareto Optima and price equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 107-117, August.
- Cass, David, 1992. "Sunspots and Incomplete Financial Markets: The General Case," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 341-58, July.
- Calvet, Laurent E., 2001.
"Incomplete Markets and Volatility,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 295-338, June.
- Laurent E. Calvet, 1999. "Incomplete Markets and Volatility," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1865, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Siconolfi, P & Villanacci, A, 1991. "Real Indeterminacy in Incomplete Financial Market Economies without Aggregate Risk," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 265-76, July.
- Pietra, Tito, 1992.
"The Structure of the Set of Sunspot Equilibria in Economies with Incomplete Financial Markets,"
Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 321-40, July.
- Pietra, T., 1991. "The structure of the set of sunspot equilibria in economies with incomplete financial markets," CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) 1991032, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- PIETRA, Tito, . "The structure of the set of sunspot equilibria in economies with incomplete financial markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -997, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Telmer, Chris I, 1993.
" Asset-Pricing Puzzles and Incomplete Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1803-32, December.
- Tito Pietra, 2001. "The set of sunspot equilibria in economies with incomplete financial markets: variable asset prices," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 649-659.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1980.
"Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?,"
NBER Working Papers
0456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1981. "Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 421-36, June.
- Thorsten Hens, 2000. "Do Sunspots Matter when Spot Market Equilibria Are Unique?," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 435-441, March.
- Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2000. "Computing Equilibria in Stochastic Finance Economies," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 15(1-2), pages 145-72, April.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Gyutaeg Oh, 1996. "Some Results in the CAPM with Nontraded Endowments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(2), pages 286-293, February.
- Duffie, Darrell & Shafer, Wayne, 1986. "Equilibrium in incomplete markets: II : Generic existence in stochastic economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 199-216, June.
- Rios-Rull, Jose-Victor, 1994. "On the quantitative importance of market completeness," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 463-496, December.
- Zapatero, Fernando, 1998. "Effects of financial innovations on market volatility when beliefs are heterogeneous," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 597-626, April.
- Gottardi, Piero & Kajii, Atsushi, 1999. "The Structure of Sunspot Equilibria: The Role of Multiplicity," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 713-32, July.
- Elul Ronel, 1995. "Welfare Effects of Financial Innovation in Incomplete Markets Economies with Several Consumption Goods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 43-78, February.
- Detemple, Jerome B & Selden, Larry, 1991. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of Option and Stock Market Interactions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(2), pages 279-303, May.
- Elul, Ronel, 1997. "Financial innovation, precautionary saving and the risk-free rate," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 113-131, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.