Welfare Gains and Losses in Sunspot Equilibria
AbstractWe study a standard two period exchange economy with one nominal asset. As is well known there is a continuum of sunspot equilibria around each efficient equilibrium. A sunspot equilibrium is inefficient but some household may gain in sunspot equilibria relative to the efficient equilibrium. We show that a household's equilibrium utility level is either locally maximized or locally minimized at the efficient equilibrium, and derive a condition which identifies whether or not a household's utility is locally minimized or maximized.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research in its series KIER Working Papers with number 624.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Pietra, T., 1991.
"The structure of the set of sunspot equilibria in economies with incomplete financial markets,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pietra, Tito, 1992. "The Structure of the Set of Sunspot Equilibria in Economies with Incomplete Financial Markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 321-40, July.
- Suda, Shinichi & Tallon, Jean-Marc & Villanacci, Antonio, 1992. "Real Indeterminacy of Equilibria in a Sunspot Economy with Inside Money," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 309-19, July.
- Gottardi, Piero & Kajii, Atsushi, 1999. "The Structure of Sunspot Equilibria: The Role of Multiplicity," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 713-32, July.
- Goenka, Aditya & Prechac, Christophe, 2006. "Stabilizing sunspots," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4-5), pages 544-555, August.
- Cass, David, 1992. "Sunspots and Incomplete Financial Markets: The General Case," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 341-58, July.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Atsushi Kajii, 2008.
"Sunspot Equilibria in a Production Economy: Do Rational Animal Spirits Cause Overproduction?,"
KIER Working Papers
655, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Atsushi Kajii, 2009. "Sunspot Equilibria In A Production Economy: Do Rational Animal Spirits Cause Overproduction?," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 35-54.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akihisa Shibata).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.