The Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s
AbstractTo establish a benchmark, the cross border mergers and acquisitions wave of the late 1990s is compared to its predecessor in the late 1980s. It is found to be at least five times larger (in real terms), to involve firms from more OECD nations, and to include many more service sector transactions. However, in comparison to the size of national stock market capitalizations, foreign mergers with and acquisitions of domestic firms during this latest wave were small, especially in the Group of Seven leading industrial economies. The effect of cross border mergers and acquisitions on performance in one important service sector, banking, is also examined. Specifically, the relative importance of cross border mergers and acquisitions, domestic mergers and acquisitions, domestic entry and exit, and strategic alliances and joint ventures for interest rate spreads was estimated for 13 industrial nations. The principal findings suggest that the effects of these firm-driven changes in banking market structure differ markedly between EU member states and non-EU industrialized economies. This highlights the importance of differentiating between types of cross border inter-firm agreements and the pitfalls of generalising about the effects of the latest wave of cross border mergers and acquisitions as many of the harshest critics of globalization do.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 9655.
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Baldwin, Robert E. and L. Alan Winters (eds.) Challenges to globalization: Analyzing the economics NBER Economic Research Conference Report series. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press, 2004.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Simon Evenett, 2004. "The Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s," NBER Chapters, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 411-470 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2004-08-31 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2003-04-27 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HIS-2004-07-18 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Competition in the Changing World of Banking," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 535-547.
- Damien J. NEVEN & Lars-Hendrik RÖLLER, 2000.
"The Scope of Conflict in International Merger Control,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP), UniversitÃ© de Lausanne, FacultÃ© des HEC, DEEP
00.25, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Neven, Damien J & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2000. "The Scope of Conflict in International Merger Control," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2621, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Evenett, Simon J., 2003.
"Do all networks facilitate international commerce? US law firms and the international market for corporate control,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 520-537, December.
- Simon J. Evenett, 2003. "Do all networks facilitate international commerce? US law firms and the international market for corporate control," NBER Working Papers 9663, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1192 is not listed on IDEAS
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 1999.
"Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance,"
Working Paper Series, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
WP-99-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 2000. "Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 2000-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert E. Lipsey & Zadia Feliciano, 2002. "Foreign Entry into U.S. Manufacturing by Takeovers and the Creation of New Firms," NBER Working Papers 9122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nam-Hoon Kang & Sara Johansson, 2000. "Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions: Their Role in Industrial Globalisation," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2000/1, OECD Publishing.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1127 is not listed on IDEAS
- V N Balasubramanyam & C F Elliott, 2002. "Competition policy and the WTO," Working Papers 539974, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2008067 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Bong-Soo & Min, Byung S., 2011. "Exchange rates and FDI strategies of multinational enterprises," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 586-603, November.
- Carletti, E. & Hartmann, P. & Ongena, S., 2008.
"The Economic Impact of Merger Control Legislation,"
Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center
2008-006, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- CARLETTI, Elena; HARTMANN, Philipp; ONGENA, Steven, 2012. "The Economic Impact of Merger Control Legislation," Economics Working Papers, European University Institute ECO2012/12, European University Institute.
- Carletti, Elena & Hartmann, Philipp & Ongena, Steven, 2011. "The Economic Impact of Merger Control Legislation," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 8447, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jung Hur & Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2007.
"Cross-Border M&A Inflows and the Quality of Institutions: A Cross-Country Panel Data Analysis,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE
0708, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Jung Hur & Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2011. "Cross‐Border M&A Inflows And Quality Of Country Governance: Developing Versus Developed Countries," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 638-655, December.
- Jung Hur & Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2007. "Cross-Border M&A Inflows and the Quality of Institutions : A Cross-Country Panel Data Analysis," Microeconomics Working Papers 21920, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Klaus Gugler & Lars Sørgard, 2012. " Cross-Border Mergers and Domestic Wages: Integrating Positive 'Spillover' Effects and Negative 'Bargaining' Effects," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp136, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Chak Hung J. Cheng & Michael K. Salemi, 2009. "Feast and Famine: Explaining Big Swings in the Hong Kong Economy between 1981 and 2007," Working Papers 372009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Paula Neto & António Brandão & António Cerqueira, 2009.
"The Macroeconomic Determinants of Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions and Greenfield Investments,"
GEE Papers, Gabinete de EstratÃ©gia e Estudos, MinistÃ©rio da Economia e da InovaÃ§Ã£o
0017, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Aug 2009.
- Paula Cristina da Silva Ferreira Neto Rodrigues & António Abílio Garrido Brandão & António de Melo Cerqueira, 2008. "The Macroeconomic Determinants of Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions and Greenfield Investments," FEP Working Papers 281, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Anu Kovarikova Arro, 2005. "Globalization, Increasing Returns in Component Production, and the Pattern of Trade," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp265, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Boateng, Agyenim & Hua, Xiuping & Uddin, Moshfique & Du, Min, 2014. "Home country macroeconomic factors on outward cross-border mergers and acquisitions: Evidence from the UK," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 202-216.
- Rabin Hattari & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2009. "Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions (M&As) in Developing Asia: The Role of Financial Variables," Working Papers 362009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.