Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions (M&As) in Developing Asia: The Role of Financial Variables
AbstractThis paper examines cross-border M&A activities in a large panel which includes many developing Asian economies. How important are financial drivers of M&As in the region, particularly financial risks such as market risk, credit risk, and liquidity risk? How significant are intra-(developing) Asian M&As and are there differences between intra-regional M&A transactions and M&A purchases by extra-regional sources in developing Asia? These are among the issues explored in this paper using a novel dataset of bilateral M&A purchases in developing Asia over the period 2000-2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research in its series Working Papers with number 362009.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Developing Asia; Distance; Finance; Foreign Direct Investment (FDI); Gravity Model; Greenfield investment; Mergers and Acquisitions (M&As); Risks;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-05-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-SEA-2010-05-02 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon J. Evenett, 2003.
"The Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s,"
NBER Working Papers
9655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Evenett, 2004. "The Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s," NBER Chapters, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 411-470 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olaf Unteroberdoerster & Cynthia Leung, 2008. "Hong Kong SAR as a Financial Center for Asia: Trends and Implications," IMF Working Papers 08/57, International Monetary Fund.
- Rabin Hattari & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2008. "Trends and Drivers of Bilateral FDI Flows in Developing Asia," Working Papers 112008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2005.
"What drives capital flows? The case of cross-border M&A activity and financial deepening,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 127-149, January.
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2002. "What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt7nq6d7wp, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Julian di Giovanni & Contact: email@example.com, 2003. "What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening," International Trade 0303002, EconWPA.
- Loungani, Prakash & Mody, Ashoka & Razin, Assaf, 2002. "The Global Disconnect: The Role of Transactional Distance and Scale Economies in Gravity Equations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(5), pages 526-43, December.
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Weichselbaumer, Michael, 2008. "The Determinants of Merger Waves: An International Perspective," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- David T Coe & Arvind Subramanian & Natalia T Tamirisa, 2007. "The Missing Globalization Puzzle: Evidence of the Declining Importance of Distance," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(1), pages 34-58, May.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2008. "FDI as an outcome of the market for corporate control: Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 2-20, January.
- Lina M. Cortés & Diego A. Agudelo & Samuel Mongrut, 2012. "Waves and determinants in the activity of Mergers and Acquisitions: The Case of Latin America," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 010658, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan, . "Crises, Private Capital Flows and Financial Instability in Emerging Asia," MPDD Working Paper Series WP/09/06, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.