The Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s
In: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics
AbstractTo establish a benchmark, the cross border mergers and acquisitions wave of the late 1990s is compared to its predecessor in the late 1980s. It is found to be at least five times larger (in real terms), to involve firms from more OECD nations, and to include many more service sector transactions. However, in comparison to the size of national stock market capitalizations, foreign mergers with and acquisitions of domestic firms during this latest wave were small, especially in the Group of Seven leading industrial economies. The effect of cross border mergers and acquisitions on performance in one important service sector, banking, is also examined. Specifically, the relative importance of cross border mergers and acquisitions, domestic mergers and acquisitions, domestic entry and exit, and strategic alliances and joint ventures for interest rate spreads was estimated for 13 industrial nations. The principal findings suggest that the effects of these firm-driven changes in banking market structure differ markedly between EU member states and non-EU industrialized economies. This highlights the importance of differentiating between types of cross border inter-firm agreements and the pitfalls of generalising about the effects of the latest wave of cross border mergers and acquisitions as many of the harshest critics of globalization do.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number 9545.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Simon J. Evenett, 2003. "The Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s," NBER Working Papers 9655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Competition in the Changing World of Banking," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 535-547.
- Evenett, Simon J., 2003.
"Do all networks facilitate international commerce? US law firms and the international market for corporate control,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 520-537, December.
- Simon J. Evenett, 2003. "Do all networks facilitate international commerce? US law firms and the international market for corporate control," NBER Working Papers 9663, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1127 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1192 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nam-Hoon Kang & Sara Johansson, 2000. "Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions: Their Role in Industrial Globalisation," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2000/1, OECD Publishing.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Zadia Feliciano, 2002. "Foreign Entry into U.S. Manufacturing by Takeovers and the Creation of New Firms," NBER Working Papers 9122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 2000.
"Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 1999. "Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance," Working Paper Series WP-99-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- V N Balasubramanyam & C F Elliott, 2002. "Competition policy and the WTO," Working Papers 539974, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Neven, Damien J & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2000.
"The Scope of Conflict in International Merger Control,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2621, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Damien J. NEVEN & Lars-Hendrik RÖLLER, 2000. "The Scope of Conflict in International Merger Control," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 00.25, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Jung Hur & Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2007.
"Cross-Border M&A Inflows and the Quality of Institutions: A Cross-Country Panel Data Analysis,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0708, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Jung Hur & Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2007. "Cross-Border M&A Inflows and the Quality of Institutions : A Cross-Country Panel Data Analysis," Microeconomics Working Papers 21920, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- CARLETTI, Elena; HARTMANN, Philipp; ONGENA, Steven, 2012.
"The Economic Impact of Merger Control Legislation,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2012/12, European University Institute.
- Carletti, E. & Hartmann, P. & Ongena, S., 2008. "The Economic Impact of Merger Control Legislation," Discussion Paper 2008-006, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Carletti, Elena & Hartmann, Philipp & Ongena, Steven, 2011. "The Economic Impact of Merger Control Legislation," CEPR Discussion Papers 8447, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2008067 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rabin Hattari & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2009. "Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions (M&As) in Developing Asia: The Role of Financial Variables," Working Papers 362009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Paula Neto & António Brandão & António Cerqueira, 2009.
"The Macroeconomic Determinants of Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions and Greenfield Investments,"
0017, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Aug 2009.
- Paula Cristina da Silva Ferreira Neto Rodrigues & António Abílio Garrido Brandão & António de Melo Cerqueira, 2008. "The Macroeconomic Determinants of Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions and Greenfield Investments," FEP Working Papers 281, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Lee, Bong-Soo & Min, Byung S., 2011. "Exchange rates and FDI strategies of multinational enterprises," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 586-603, November.
- Chak Hung J. Cheng & Michael K. Salemi, 2009. "Feast and Famine: Explaining Big Swings in the Hong Kong Economy between 1981 and 2007," Working Papers 372009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Klaus Gugler & Lars Sørgard, 2012. " Cross-Border Mergers and Domestic Wages: Integrating Positive 'Spillover' Effects and Negative 'Bargaining' Effects," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp136, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.