Exchange Rate Regimes, Capital Flows and Crisis Prevention
AbstractIn this paper I analyze, within the context of the new 'financial architecture,' the relationship between exchange rate regimes, capital flows and currency crises in emerging economies. The paper draws on lessons learned during the 1990s, and deals with some of the most important policy controversies that emerged after the Mexican, East Asian, Russian and Brazilian crises. I evaluate some recent proposals for reforming the international financial architecture that have emphasized exchange rate regimes and capital mobility. I discuss emerging markets' ability to have floating exchange rate regime, and I analyze issues related to 'dollarization.'
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 8529.
Date of creation: Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Note: IFM ITI
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2001-10-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2001-10-09 (International Finance)
- NEP-LAM-2001-10-01 (Central & South America)
- NEP-PKE-2001-10-09 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1999.
"Inflation Targeting: Some Extensions,"
NBER Working Papers
5962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose De Gregorio & Sebastian Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdes, 2000.
"Controls on Capital Inflows: Do they Work?,"
NBER Working Papers
7645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Jose De Gregorio & Eduardo Borensztein, 1994. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 94/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Eichengreen, B. & Masson, P. & Savastano, M. & Sharma, S., 1999. "Transition Strategies and Nominal Anchors on the Road to Greater Exchange-Rate Flexibility," Princeton Essays in International Economics 213, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 2001. "Dollarization: Myths and realities," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 249-265, April.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1989.
"Structural Adjustment Policies in Highly Indebted Countries,"
in: Developing Country Debt and Economic Performance, Volume 1: The International Financial System, pages 159-208
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1989. "Structural Adjustment Policies in Highly Indebted Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Developing Country Debt and the World Economy, pages 249-262 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1987. "Structural Adjustment Policies in Highly Indebted Countries," UCLA Economics Working Papers 453, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1989. "Structural Adjustment Policies in Highly Indebted Countries," NBER Working Papers 2502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin Cowan & José De Gregorio, 1997.
"Exchange Rate Policies and Capital Account Management: Chile in the 1990s,"
Documentos de Trabajo
22, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Kevin Cowan & Jose De Gregorio, 1996. "Exchange rate policies and capital account management: Chile in the 1990s," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 465-488.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1998. "Two Crises: Inflationary Inertia and Credibility," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 680-702, May.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2000. "Controls on capital flows," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101337, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Sergio Schmukler & Luis Serven, 2000. "Verifiability and the Vanishing Intermediate Exchange Rate Regime," NBER Working Papers 7901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andres Velasco & Roberto Chang, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Policy for Developing Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 71-75, May.
- Stanley Fischer, 2001. "Exchange Rate Regimes: Is the Bipolar View Correct?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 3-24, Spring.
- Chinn, Menzie D., 2000.
"Before the fall: were East Asian currencies overvalued?,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 101-126, September.
- Menzie D. Chinn, 1998. "Before the Fall: Were East Asian Currencies Overvalued?," NBER Working Papers 6491, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000. "Mirage of Floating Exchange Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 65-70, May.
- Edwards, Sebastian (ed.), 2000. "Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226184708, June.
- Bernard Laurens & Jaime Cardoso, 1998. "Managing Capital Flows-Lessons from the Experience of Chile," IMF Working Papers 98/168, International Monetary Fund.
- Hinkle, Lawrence E. & Monteil, Peter J. (ed.), 1999. "Exchange Rate Misalignment: Concepts and Measurement for Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195211269.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "Fiscal Policies in the World Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 564-94, June.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1998. "Capital Inflows into Latin America: A Stop-Go Story?," NBER Working Papers 6441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2000. "The mirage of floating exchange rates," MPRA Paper 13736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay & Sethy, Anmol & Balasubramaniam, Vimal, 2010.
"The exchange rate regime in Asia: From crisis to crisis,"
10/69, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay & Sethy, Anmol & Balasubramaniam, Vimal, 2011. "The exchange rate regime in Asia: From crisis to crisis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 32-43, January.
- Ajay Shah & Ila Patnaik & Anmol Sethy & Vimal Balasubramaniam, 2010. "The Exchange Rate Regime in Asia: From Crisis to Crisis," Working Papers id:2582, eSocialSciences.
- Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah & Anmol Sethy & Vimal Balasubramaniam, 2010. "The exchange rate regime in Asia : From Crisis to Crisis," Finance Working Papers 21852, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hanen Gharbi,, 2005. "La gestion des taux de change dans les pays émergents: la leçon des expériences récentes," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2005-06, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- BEN ALI Mohamed Sami, 2006. "Capital Account Liberalization And Exchange Rate Regime Choice, What Scope For Flexibility In Tunisia?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp815, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kevin X.D. Huang & Thaneepanichskul Suchada, 2003. "Sources of Exchange Rate Fluctuations: The Cases of Mexico and Thailand in the Aftermaths of their Recent Currency Crises," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(2), pages 375-400, November.
- Robert Pollin & James Heintz, 2007. "Expanding Decent Employment in Kenya: The Role of Monetary Policy, Inflation Control, and the Exchange Rate," Country Study 6, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Jorge Carrera & Diego Bastourre, 2004.
"Could the Exchange Rate Regime Reduce Macroeconomic Volatility?,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
309, Econometric Society.
- Diego Bastourre & Jorge Carrera, 2004. "Could The Exchange Rate Regime Reduce Macroeconomic Volatility?," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 067, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Michael Bleaney & Marco Gundermann, 2002.
"Stabilisations, Crises and the "Exit" Problem - A Theoretical Model,"
- Bleaney, Michael & Gundermann, Marco, 2007. "Stabilizations, crises and the "exit" problem - A theoretical model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 876-890, December.
- Ritter, Raymond, 2003. "Sudden Stops in Capital Inflows and the Design of Exchange Rate Regimes," HWWA Discussion Papers 213, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Robin Brooks & Kenneth Rogoff & Ashoka Mody & Nienke Oomes & Aasim M. Husain, 2004.
"Evolution and Performance of Exchange Rate Regimes,"
IMF Occasional Papers
229, International Monetary Fund.
- Aasim M. Husain & Ashoka Mody & Nienke Oomes & Robin Brooks & Kenneth Rogoff, 2003. "Evolution and Performance of Exchange Rate Regimes," IMF Working Papers 03/243, International Monetary Fund.
- Mejra Festić & Dejan Romih, 2008. "Cyclicality of the banking sector performance and macro environment in the Czech republic, Slovakia and Slovenia," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(2), pages 99-117.
- Carlos Ibarra, 2005. "The Behavior of Interest Rate Differentials Under Shifting Exchange Rate Regimes: The Experience of Chile, Colombia and Israel," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 42(125), pages 103-131.
- Lee, Chin & M., Azali & Yusop, Zulkornain & Yusoff, Mohammed, 2008. "Is Malaysia exchange rate misalignment before the 1997 crisis?," MPRA Paper 40430, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos A. Ibarra, 2004. "The Interest Rate-Exchange Rate Link in the Mexican Float," Economia Mexicana NUEVA EPOCA, , vol. 0(1), pages 5-28, January-J.
- Licchetta, Mirko, 2009. "Common determinants of currency crises: role of external balance sheet variables," Bank of England working papers 366, Bank of England.
- Yeldan, Erinc, 2011. "Macroeconomics of growth and employment : the case of Turkey," ILO Working Papers 467426, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.