Econometric Estimates of Prices Indexes for Personal Computers in the 1990s
AbstractIn this paper we construct a number of quality-adjusted price indexes for personal computers in the U.S. marketplace over the 1989- 92 time period. We generalize earlier work by incorporating simultaneously the time, age and vintage effects of computer models into a fully saturated parameterization, and then develop a corresponding specification test procedure. While the simple arithmetic mean of prices of models by year reveals a price decline of about 11% per year, use of a matched model procedure similar to that commonly used by government statistical agencies generates a much larger rate of price decline -- about 20% per year. Since the matched model procedure holds quality constant, it ignores quality change embodied in new models. When data on new and surviving models are used in the estimation of hedonic price equations, a variety of quality-adjusted price indexes can be calculated, with varying interpretations. Although there are some differences, we find that on average these quality-adjusted price indexes decline at about 30% per year, with a particularly large price drop occurring in 1992. Parameters in hedonic price equations for desktop PC models differ from those for mobile PCs. Moreover, quality-adjusted prices fall at a slightly lower AAGR for mobile models (24%) than for desktops (32%). We conclude that taking quality changes into account has an enormous impact on the time pattern of price indexes for PCs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4549.
Date of creation: Aug 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L63 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Microelectronics; Computers; Communications Equipment
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andreas Fagereng & Charles Gottlieb & Luigi Guiso, 2013.
"Asset Market Participation and Portfolio Choice over the Life-Cycle,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2013/07, European University Institute.
- Luigi Guiso & Charles Gottlieb & Andreas Fagereng, 2012. "Asset Market Participation and Portfolio Choice over the Life-Cycle," 2012 Meeting Papers 783, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andreas Fagereng & Charles Gottlieb & Luigi Guiso, 2013. "Asset Market Participation and Portfolio Choice over the Life-Cycle," EIEF Working Papers Series 1326, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Oct 2013.
- Andreas Fagereng & Charles Gottlieb & Luigi Guiso, 2013. "Asset market participation and portfolio choice over the life-cycle," Discussion Papers 758, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Mark Doms & Chris Forman, 2003. "Prices for local area network equipment," Working Paper Series 2003-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla Lucini, Pilar, 2002.
"Hedonic House Prices Without Characteristics: The Case of New Multiunit Housing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla, Pilar, 2002. "Hedonic house prices without characteristics: the case of new multiunit housing," Working Paper Series 0117, European Central Bank.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques & Turner, Laure, 2006.
"Identifying Age, Cohort and Period Effects in Scientific Research Productivity - Discussion and Illustration Using Simulated and Actual Data on French Physicists,"
MERIT Working Papers
042, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bronwyn Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Laure Turner, 2007. "Identifying Age, Cohort, And Period Effects In Scientific Research Productivity: Discussion And Illustration Using Simulated And Actual Data On French Physicists," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 159-177.
- Bronwyn Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Laure Turner, 2005. "Identifying Age, Cohort and Period Effects in Scientific Research Productivity : Discussion and Illustration Using Simulated and Actual Data on French Physicists," Working Papers 2005-22, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques & Turner, Laure, 2006. "Identifying Age, Cohort and Period Effects in Scientific Research Productivity - Discussion and Illustration Using Simulated and Actual Data on French Physicists," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 042, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Laure Turner, 2005. "Identifying Age, Cohort and Period Effects in Scientific Research Productivity: Discussion and Illustration Using Simulated and Actual Data on French Physicists," NBER Working Papers 11739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wagner, Todd H. & Hu, Teh-wei & Hibbard, Judith H., 2001. "The demand for consumer health information," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1059-1075, November.
- Silver, Mick, 2000. "Hedonic regressions: an application to VCRs using scanner data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 399-408, August.
- Westland, J. Christopher & See-To, Eric Wing Kuen, 2007. "The short-run price-performance dynamics of microcomputer technologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 591-604, June.
- Stranger, Greg & Greenstein, Shane, 2008. "Pricing in the shadow of firm turnover: ISPs during the 1990s," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 625-642, May.
- Tomat, Gian Maria, 2006. "Prices, product differentiation and quality measurement: A comparison between hedonic and matched model methods," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 54-68, March.
- Daniel Melser & Iqbal A. Syed, 2013. "Prices over the Product Life Cycle: Implications for Quality-Adjustment and the Measurement of Inflation," Discussion Papers 2013-26, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Benkard, C. Lanier & Bajari, Patrick, 2003. "Hedonic Price Indexes with Unobserved Product Characteristics, and Application to PC's," Research Papers 1841, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Andrés Maroto-Sanchez, 2010. "Growth and productivity in the service sector: The state of the art," Working Papers 07/10, Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social.
- Çağlayan Ebru & Arikan Eban, 2011. "Determinants of house prices in Istanbul: a quantile regression approach," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 305-317, February.
- Deltas, George & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2006. "Entry order and pricing over the product cycle: The transition from the 486 to the Pentium processor," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 1041-1069, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.