Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990?s
AbstractThis paper computes and compares alternative quality-adjusted price indexes for new cars in Spain in the period 1990-2000. The proposed hedonic approach simultaneously controls for time-invariant unobserved product e¤ects and time-variant unobserved quality changes, that are assumed to be captured by model age e¤ects. The results show that the non-adjusted price index largely overstates the increase in the cost of living induced by changes in car prices and that previous evidence for this market have not measured the real extent of that bias, probably due to the omission of controls for unobservables. It is also shown that omitting age effects can also lead to misleading conclusions. The estimated price indexes give also some insights on what could have been the determinants of price evolution in the Spanish car market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP) in its series Working Papers with number XREAP2011-11.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision: Aug 2011
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de Ciències Econòmiques i Empresarials, Universitat de Barcelona, c/ Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, 1-11, 08034 Barcelona
Web page: http://www.pcb.ub.edu/xreap
More information through EDIRC
Hedonic price indexes; Spanish car market; car prices; CPI; Cost of living.;
Other versions of this item:
- Varela-Irimia, Xosé-Luís, 2011. "Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990's," Working Papers 2072/169683, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-22 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomat, Gian Maria, 2002. "Durable goods, price indexes and quality change: an application to automobile prices in Italy, 1988-1998," Working Paper Series 0118, European Central Bank.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995.
"Exact Hedonic Price Indexes,"
Department of Economics
95-11, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Cowling, Keith & Cubbin, John, 1972. "Hedonic Price Indexes for United Kingdom Cars," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 963-78, September.
- Christos Ioannidis & Mick Silver, 2003. "Chained, exact and superlative hedonic price changes: estimates from microdata," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1005-1014.
- Triplett, Jack E, 1969. "Automobiles and Hedonic Quality Measurement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 408-17, May/June.
- María Moral & Jordi Jaumandreu, 2007. "Automobile demand, model cycle and age effects," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 193-218, September.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002.
"Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001),"
Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles,
Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Reis, Hugo J. & Santos Silva, J.M.C., 2006. "Hedonic prices indexes for new passenger cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 890-908, December.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Working Papers w200210, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2003. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997- 2001)," Econometrics 0303003, EconWPA.
- Timothy Erickson & Ariel Pakes, 2008.
"An Experimental Component Index for the CPI: From Annual Computer Data to Monthly Data on Other Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
14368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tim Erickson & Ariel Pakes, 2011. "An Experimental Component Index for the CPI: From Annual Computer Data to Monthly Data on Other Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1707-38, August.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's," NBER Working Papers 8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Requena-Silvente & James Walker, 2006. "Calculating Hedonic Price Indices with Unobserved Product Attributes: An Application to the UK Car Market," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(291), pages 509-532, 08.
- Jonathan Murray & Nicholas Sarantis, 1999. "Price-Quality Relations and Hedonic Price Indexes for Cars in the United Kingdom," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 5-27.
- Kenneth Brown, 2000. "Hedonic price indexes and the distribution of buyers across the product space: an application to mainframe computers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1801-1808.
- Mick Silver & Saeed Heravi, 2004. "Hedonic Price Indexes and the Matched Models Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(1), pages 24-49, 01.
- Olympia Bover & Mario Izquierdo, 2003. "Quality-adjusted prices: hedonic methods and implications for national accounts," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 27(2), pages 199-238, May.
- Gian Maria Tomat, 2002. "Durable goods, price indexes and quality change: an application to automobile prices in Italy, 1988-1998," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 439, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Mario Izquierdo & Omar Licandro & Alberto Maydey, . "Car quality improvements and price indices in Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 121, FEDEA.
- P. D. Chwelos & E. R. Berndt & I. M. Cockburn, 2008.
"Faster, smaller, cheaper: an hedonic price analysis of PDAs,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(22), pages 2839-2856.
- Paul D. Chwelos & Ernst R. Berndt & Iain M. Cockburn, 2004. "Faster, Smaller, Cheaper: An Hedonic Price Analysis of PDAs," NBER Working Papers 10746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Lanier Benkard & Patrick Bajari, 2005. "Hedonic Price Indexes With Unobserved Product Characteristics, and Application to Personal Computers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 61-75, January.
- Mario Izquierdo & Omar Licandro & Alberto Maydeu, . "Car quality improvements and price indices in Spain," Working Papers 2001-18, FEDEA.
- Zvi Griliches, 1961. "Hedonic Price Indexes for Automobiles: An Econometric of Quality Change," NBER Chapters, in: The Price Statistics of the Federal Goverment, pages 173-196 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.