Hedonic house prices without characteristics: the case of new multiunit housing
AbstractIn this paper we propose an alternative to traditional hedonics for estimating new multiunit housing inflation, adjusting for quality changes. By relying on the within-site variation we control in a very general way for unobserved housing characteristics using site-specific effects. Precise location, transport, traffic, closeness to services, or construction quality are some of the unobserved but typically relevant housing characteristics that may bias estimated house price inflation, even when using hedonic methods. We also estimate standard hedonic equations and compare the results to those obtained with the alternative hedonic equations with site dummies. Our dataset is fairly rich in observable housing characteristics but, nevertheless, the quality-adjusted house price evolution is quite different in some cases. The data cover the construction of new housing in some of the large Spanish cities and in the smaller towns on the outskirts of the capital during part of the 1990s. JEL Classification: C43, E31, O47, R31
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0117.
Date of creation: Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla Lucini, Pilar, 2002. "Hedonic House Prices Without Characteristics: The Case of New Multiunit Housing," CEPR Discussion Papers 3161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Linneman, Peter, 1980. "Some empirical results on the nature of the hedonic price function for the urban housing market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 47-68, July.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987.
"Prices of Single Family Homes Since 1970: New Indexes for Four Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
2393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987. "Prices of single-family homes since 1970: new indexes for four cities," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 45-56.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1987. "Prices of Single Family Homes Since 1970: New Indexes for Four Cities," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 851, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John M. Clapp & Carmelo Giaccotto & Dogan Tirtiroglu, 1991. "Housing Price Indices Based on All Transactions Compared to Repeat Subsamples," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 270-285.
- Bradford Case & Henry O. Pollakowski & Susan M. Wachter, 1991. "On Choosing Among House Price Index Methodologies," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 286-307.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches & Neal Rappaport, 1995. "Econometric Estimates of Prices Indexes for Personal Computers in the 1990s," NBER Working Papers 4549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1964. "Notes on the Measurement of Price and Quality Changes," NBER Chapters, in: Models of Income Determination, pages 381-418 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1991. "House Price Indexes: Issues and Results," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 259-269.
- Pena, Daniel & Ruiz-Castillo, Javier, 1984. "Robust Methods of Building Regression Models-An Application to the Housing Sector," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(1), pages 10-20, January.
- Olympia Bover & Mario Izquierdo, 2003. "Quality-adjusted prices: hedonic methods and implications for national accounts," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 27(2), pages 199-238, May.
- Reis, Hugo J. & Santos Silva, J.M.C., 2006.
"Hedonic prices indexes for new passenger cars in Portugal (1997-2001),"
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 890-908, December.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Working Papers w200210, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2003. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997- 2001)," Econometrics 0303003, EconWPA.
- Jan van Dalen & Ben Bode, 2004. "Quality-corrected price indices: the case of the Dutch new passenger car market, 1990-1999," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(11), pages 1169-1197.
- Jessica Castaño & Mariana Laverde & Miguel Ángel Morales Mosquera, . "Índice de Precios de la Vivienda Nueva para Bogotá: Metodología de Precios Hedónicos," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 078, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Volker Rußig & Ludwig Dorffmeister, 2005. "Dreizehn Jahreseinkommen für ein Reihenhaus - Zu Niveau und Entwicklung der Wohnimmobilienpreise," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 58(13), pages 20-30, 07.
- Andrés Sagner, 2009. "Determinantes del Precio de Viviendas en Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 549, Central Bank of Chile.
- Salá Rios, Mercè, 2004. "Análisis territorial de la accesibilidad a la vivienda en España," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 1-21, Diciembre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.