Trade Policy, Exchange Rates and Growth
AbstractThis paper analyzes the relationship between trade policy and economic performance. The paper is divided in two fundamental parts. The first one uses a cross country data set to investigate the relationship between trade policy and productivity growth. It is found that countries that are more open to the rest of the world have experienced faster growth in total factor productivity than countries with high trade barriers. In the second part the recent Latin American experiences with trade liberalization reforms are investigated. It is shown that in the last few years the Latin American countries have gone from having one of the most distorted external sectors, to having very low degrees of protectionism. The extent of the liberalization efforts is documented and the effect on productivity and exports is investigated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4511.
Date of creation: Oct 1993
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Sebastian Edwards. "Trade Policy, Exchange Rates, and Growth," in Rudiger Dornbusch and Sebastian Edwards, eds., "Reform, Recovery, and Growth: Latin America and the Middle East" University of Chicago Press (1995)
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McKinnon, Ronald I., 1982. "The order of economic liberalization: Lessons from Chile and Argentina," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 159-186, January.
- Jere H. Behrman, 1976. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development: Chile," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number behr76-1, December.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Cukierman, Alex & Edwards, Sebastian & Tabellini, Guido, 1992.
"Seigniorage and Political Instability,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 537-55, June.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Corbo, Vittorio & De Melo, Jaime, 1985. "Overview and summary," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 863-866, August.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1978. "On the Time Consistency of Optimal Policy in a Monetary Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1411-28, November.
- Peter Montiel & Bijan B. Aghevli & Mohsin S. Khan, 1991. "Exchange Rate Policy in Developing Countries: Some Analytical Issues," IMF Occasional Papers 78, International Monetary Fund.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1991. "Monetarism and Liberalization," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226184890, January.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1985. "Tax policy in open economies," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 313-374 Elsevier.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1988.
"Real and monetary determinants of real exchange rate behavior: Theory and evidence from developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 311-341, November.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1990. "Real and Monetary Determinants of Real Exchange Rate Behavior: Theory and Evidence From Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 2721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastion Edwards, 1988. "Real and Monetary Determinants of Real Exchange Rate Behavior: Theory and Evidence from Developing Countries," UCLA Economics Working Papers 506, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Condon, Timothy & Corbo, Vittorio & de Melo, Jaime, 1985. "Productivity growth, external shocks, and capital inflows in Chile: A general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 379-405.
- Corden, W M, 1969. "Effective Protective Rates in the General Equilibrium Model: A Geometric Note," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 135-41, July.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1978. "Alternative Trade Strategies and Employment in LDCs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 270-74, May.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter Isard, 1988. "Monetary Policy Strategies," NBER Working Papers 2770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister & Mahmood Pradhan & Hossein Samiei, 1996.
"Have North-South Growth Linkages Changed?,"
IMF Working Papers
96/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & David Romer, 1996. "Trade and Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 5476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kamin, Steven B., 2001. "Real exchange rates and inflation in exchange-rate-based stabilizations: an empirical examination," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 237-253, February.
- Ramon Moreno, 2001. "Pegging and stabilization policy in developing countries," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 17-29.
- Dang, D Anh, 2010. "Trade Liberalization and Institutional Quality: Evidence from Vietnam," MPRA Paper 26346, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Aug 2010.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001.
"An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002. "An Estimate Of The Effect Of Common Currencies On Trade And Income," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466, May.
- Lopez, Juan J., 1998. "Private Investment Response to Neoliberal Reforms in a Delegative Democracy: Reflections on Argentina," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 1), pages 441-457.
- Ana Flávia Machado & Frederico G. Jayme Jr, 2002. "Trade liberalization and labor market in Brazil: impacts on employment and wages in tradeables and nontradeables sectors," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td174, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Frederico Gonzaga Jayme Junior, 2001. "Balance-of-payments constrained economic growth in Brazil," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td155, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, David Romer and Teresa Cyrus., 1995.
"Trade and Growth in East Asian Countries: Cause and Effect?,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C95-050, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & David Romer & Teresa Cyrus, 1995. "Trade and growth in East Asian countries: cause and effect?," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 95-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & David Romer & Teresa Cyrus, 1996. "Trade and Growth in East Asian Countries: Cause and Effect?," NBER Working Papers 5732, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederico Gonzaga Jayme Jr, 2001. "Notes on trade and growth," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td166, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Robert Lafrance & Jean-François Perrault, 2002.
"Does Exchange Rate Policy Matter for Growth?,"
02-17, Bank of Canada.
- David M. Gould, 1995. "Mexico's crisis: looking back to assess the future," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q II, pages 2-12.
- BEN ALI Mohamed Sami, 2006. "Capital Account Liberalization And Exchange Rate Regime Choice, What Scope For Flexibility In Tunisia?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp815, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2011. "Exchange Rates in Emerging Countries: Eleven Empirical Regularities from Latin America and East Asia," NBER Working Papers 17074, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.