Heterogeneity and Output Fluctuations in a Dynamic Menu-Cost Economy
AbstractWhen firms face menu costs, the relation between their output and money is highly nonlinear. At the aggregate level, however, this needs not be so. In this paper we study the dynamic behavior of a general equilibrium menu-cost economy where firms are heterogeneous in the shocks they perceive, and the demands and adjustment Costs they face. In this context we (i) generalize the Caplin and Spulber  steady state monetary neutrality result; (ii) show that uniqueness of equilibria depends not only on the degree of strategic complementarities but also on the degree of dispersion of firms' positions in their price-cycle; (iii) characterize the path of output outside the steady state and show that as strategic complementarities become more important, expansions become longer and smoother than contractions; and (iv) show that the potential effectiveness of monetary policy is an increasing function of the distance of the economy from its steady state, but that an uninformed policy maker will have no effect on output on average.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3729.
Date of creation: Jun 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Engel, Eduardo M R A, 1993. "Heterogeneity and Output Fluctuations in a Dynamic Menu-Cost Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 95-119, January.
- Caballero, R.J. & Engel, E.M.R.A., 1989. "Heterogeneity And Output Fluctuations In A Dynamic Menu Cost Economy," Discussion Papers 1989_40, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Caballero, R. & Engel, E.M.R.A., 1991. "Heterogeneity and Output Fluctuations in a Dynamic Menu-Cost Economy," Discussion Papers 1991_16, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel, 1991.
"Dynamic (S,s) Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
3734, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303, June.
- Laurence Ball & David Romer, 1987.
"The Equilibrium and Optimal Timing of Price Changes,"
NBER Working Papers
2432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ball, Laurence & Romer, David, 1989. "The Equilibrium and Optimal Timing of Price Changes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 179-98, April.
- Laurence Ball & David Romer, 1989. "The Equilibrium and Optimal Timing of Price Changes," NBER Working Papers 2412, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1972. "A Theory of Monopolistic Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 17-26, January.
- repec:fth:coluec:420 is not listed on IDEAS
- Benabou, Roland, 1989.
"Optimal Price Dynamics and Speculation with a Storable Good,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 41-80, January.
- Benabou, Roland, 1987. "Optimal price dynamics and speculation with a storable good," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8708, CEPREMAP.
- Caplin, Andrew S & Spulber, Daniel F, 1987.
"Menu Costs and the Neutrality of Money,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 102(4), pages 703-25, November.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1983. "Optimum Pricing Policy under Stochastic Inflation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 513-29, July.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- Akerlof, George A & Yellen, Janet L, 1985. "Can Small Deviations from Rationality Make Significant Differences to Economic Equilibria?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 708-20, September.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 1985. "Small Menu Costs and Large Business Cycles: A Macroeconomic Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(2), pages 529-38, May.
- repec:fth:coluec:453 is not listed on IDEAS
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.