Menu Costs and the Neutrality of Money
AbstractA model of endogenous price adjustment under money growth is presented. Firms follow (s, S) pricing policies and price revisions are imperfectly synchronized. In the aggregate, price stickiness disappears and money is neutral. The connection between firm price adjustment and relative price variability in the presence of monetary growth is also investigated. The results contrast with those obtained in models with exogenous fixed timing of price adjustment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2311.
Date of creation: Jul 1987
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danziger, Leif, 1984. "Stochastic Inflation and the Optimal Policy of Price Adjustment," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(1), pages 98-108, January.
- Liebermann, Yehoshua & Zilberfard, Ben-Zion, 1985. "Price adjustment strategy under conditions of high inflation: An empirical examination," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 253-265, August.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1977. "Long-Term Contracts, Rational Expectations, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 191-205, February.
- repec:nbr:nberre:0126 is not listed on IDEAS
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Robert J. Weiner, 1985. "Nominal Contracting and Price Flexibility in Product Markets," NBER Working Papers 1738, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence M. Ball & David Romer, 1989.
"Are Prices Too Sticky?,"
NBER Working Papers
2171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1978.
"Market Behavior with Demand Uncertainty and Price Inflexibility,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 571-87, September.
- D. W. Carlton, 1976. "Market Behavior With Demand Uncertainty and Price Inflexibility," Working papers 179, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J, 1972. "A Theory of Monopolistic Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 17-26, January.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303, June.
- Mussa, Michael, 1981. "Sticky Prices and Disequilibrium Adjustment in a Rational Model of the Inflationary Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 1020-27, December.
- Cukierman, Alex, 1978.
"The Relationship Between Relative Prices and the General Price Level: A Suggested Interpretation,"
78-11, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cukierman, Alex, 1979. "The Relationship between Relative Prices and the General Price Level: A Suggested Interpretation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 444-47, June.
- Benabou, Roland, 1987.
"Optimal price dynamics and speculation with a storable good,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Benabou, Roland, 1989. "Optimal Price Dynamics and Speculation with a Storable Good," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 41-80, January.
- Caplin, Andrew S, 1985. "The Variability of Aggregate Demand with (S, s) Inventory Policies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1395-1409, November.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Richard Ehrhardt, 1979. "The Power Approximation for Computing (s, S) Inventory Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(8), pages 777-786, August.
- Pagan, A R & Hall, A D & Trivedi, P K, 1983. "Assessing the Variability of Inflation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 585-96, October.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1981.
"Output Fluctuations and Gradual Price Adjustment,"
NBER Working Papers
0621, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1982. "Price Asynchronization and Price Level Inertia," NBER Working Papers 0900, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Monopolistic Price Adjustment and Aggregate Output," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 517-31, October.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.